Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

tomato container

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: tomato container

Postby B_BQ » Apr 11, 2009 12:56 pm

I've grown all sorts of tomatoes in containers for years. The biggest problem is staking them, as no matter how big the pot the vine still seems to get too big and tends to topple. Stakes just don't seem to be able to hold up the vine. I did plant several tomatoes in pots one year, put them against the side of a south-facing garage, and put up a temporary trellis on the garage wall. This worked well, but the pots had to be watered at least once, or more, per day as the soil dried out quite quickly. So..... I would certainly try to go for an determinate/bush/patio. I have my favourites which I plant each year, but if I was starting over I would certainly look for determinate/patio/bush tomatoes.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby evepet » May 25, 2009 12:32 pm

I've planted 2 Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoe plants into a container that's about 18" diameter by 18" deep. It's got a water reservoir, so I'm hoping that helps with the watering requirements once the plants really start requiring heavy, constant watering.

I only planted them last Wednesday, and haven't put a tomato cage or stake in the container yet. I've since been reading that I should have put the cage/stake in before planting the seedlings??

Would anybody who has experience with containered toms and Sweet 100 Cherry Tom in particular give me some advice as to the best thing to do now... Should I quickly put a cage in around them? Or use stakes? Is it important to do it NOW rather than wait until they grow more? What is the advantage of a cage vs stakes?

Any comments most welcome.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby Eeyore » May 25, 2009 12:59 pm

I've used both cages and stakes but I prefer the cages because I don't have to tie the plant to the stake. How big are the plants? If they are still small there is no reason to do them now but you will want to do them before the plants get too big because caging is hard to do once you have to battle with branches that could break while putting the cage on. If you decide to use stakes you'll want to do it before the roots spread too much and could potentially be damaged by the stake.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » May 25, 2009 1:12 pm

The seedlings are both about 6" high and about the same spread. I planted them with about a 5-6" distance between them.

Thx for your input Eeyore.... I guess I'd better go get a tomato cage asap (using a cage sounds easier somehow) and get it situated in there before they get much bigger.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby bluewillow » May 25, 2009 2:51 pm

I agree with Lyn. Also, remove the lower leaves of the tomato plant.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby evepet » May 25, 2009 3:10 pm

bluewillow wrote:I agree with Lyn. Also, remove the lower leaves of the tomato plant.

bw

Ok. Thx for responding.
evepet

Postby MareE » Jul 04, 2009 1:36 pm

It's 3 months later, steamer. How're everyone's containered Toms doing?

I'm growing third-generation Heritage seeds courtesy of Inge and BBQ. This pic was shot about 2 weeks ago. These are 5 kg Milkbone® pails with lots of holes drilled in bottoms, old bbq lava rocks and clay pot shards for drainage. Filler blend of kitchen compost, triple mix and moo poo. The plants, now numbering six on the garage roof, need to be caged soon!

[And no, our dogs were NOT over-treated with cookies during pail collection! LAFF]

MareE;o} somewhat new to serious container veggie gardening this year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby bluewillow » Jul 04, 2009 2:04 pm

Omg Mare O' you were not kiddin' bout rooftop gardening! Looks awesome!
My toms have been in containers for a time now and are even showing little green offspring ... its hard to believe as I have never had toms as healthy or as enormous in prior years. I've been nipping away at the suckers and removing the lower branches as well. Gave them a shot of Miracle Gro' for toms ... will stop this practice as the plants are above the tops of cages already.
No cukes this year as something cut them down last couple of years along with my Scarlet Runners that Mare O' donated. I'm so pissed at whatever might have done this damage ... thinking now cutworms I've been told. Gotta do some diggin'

Happy gardening to all!

bw
Last edited by bluewillow on Jul 04, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby evepet » Jul 04, 2009 2:51 pm

Ohh... MareE. I wish I had that much space. :) That's awesome. I haven't had the time to visit the forum much lately, but saw that somebody had added to this thread and thought I'd drop in. Here's a pic of my containers tomato plants.I hope I have lots of lovely cherry toms!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
evepet

Postby MareE » Jul 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks Blue O' and evepet! First on my street...so far!!

Yep, I wasn't kidding. Had to grow more somewhere (to avoid becoming glum and lethargic among other sullen maladies) as the alley is SRO now. For a backyard trellis made of 7 recycled Xmas trees, sowed Scarlet Runners and they were being eaten alive soon as sprouted. Sprinkled some Rotenone on them finally. Sowed another container (rooftop) with Inge's 3rd generation Lemon cuke seed hoping they'll do better with more Sun than alley provides.

Lotsa blossoms happening on your Cherry Tomato, evepet. Foliage looks lush and healthy. May you harvest a huge bowlful!

Mare;o}
]
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening