Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Another problem re my cherry tom seedlings....?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Another problem re my cherry tom seedlings....?

Postby evepet » May 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm starting a new topic because I don't want this to get lost at the end of my old one. But I apologize in advance for a bit of duplication here.

I've planted 2 Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato plants in a 18" diameter container, about 18" in depth. There's a water reservoir in there that takes up some space.... while the reservoir is useful, I'm now realizing that it's creating a problem. The reservoir is about 2" deep. The soil in the container stops at approx 2" from the top. If I put more soil in, it's higher than the water plastic pipe that feeds the water to the reservoir.

I got a tomato cage and tried to insert it down as far as possible into the soil... but it's being stopped by the water reservoir ...the prongs of the cage (from the bottom up to the lowest metal circle) measures about 14", and I can't get the cage to far enough into the soil so that that first metal circle is into or touching the soil... it will only enter to a depth of about 12" and doesn't seem very 'secure'.

I think I'm going to have to get a brand new container and transplant the plants, sans reservor, so that there's enough room for the root growth and a good anchoring of the cage.

I'd appreciate it if you experienced cherry tomato growers would tell me whether my 'assumption' here is correct?
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Re: Another problem re my cherry tom seedlings....?

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 26, 2009 9:25 pm

I too have experienced the not being able to get the tomato cage down far enough in mytwo shallow pails (I plant in pails)...I make a teepee from bamboo sticks, stick the cage over that in as far as it will go, and pray, a lot. So far, this works for me.

But, an easy and CHEAP water reservoir is a simple plastic bottle with holes punched in the bottom..sink this partially in the pot, fill the bottle with water and when you can see it is low on water, so is the bottom of your pot.

Most of us tend to overwater pots of our cherry toms/etc...can you lift the pot? get an idea of the weight when wet all the way? you can use this as a guide for watering as the summer progresses...heavy/don't...easy to pick up...WATER MAMA, WATER!!!

remember, keep water off the leaves of the tomato as best you can. (Do NOT worry about rain...there is a limit to what you can control!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby evepet » May 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info Liz. Much appreciated.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby bluewillow » Jun 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Evepet, do you think that the 2 Sweet 100's might be too crowded for

an 18" pot?

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby evepet » Jun 20, 2009 4:35 pm

bluewillow wrote:Evepet, do you think that the 2 Sweet 100's might be too crowded for

an 18" pot?

bw

I'm not sure about that either... I did a lot of online research & got the idea that 2 plants in a container that size would be ok. But time will tell. This is a first time for me. A learning exerience. I really don't have room for another planter that large on the balcony, so it pretty much has to stay the way it is.
evepet

Postby bluewillow » Jun 20, 2009 5:23 pm

i've been using large tote containers since my walnut tree has poisoned the soil. Good luck ... i'm still learning. Have you thought of planting lettuce in a small container?

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jun 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Evepet, have you seen at your nurseries, the hanging bag planters? Folks used to do petunias in these...plastic green bags, holes punched here and there, you insert plants?

I saw a batch of these at Cdn Tire...fully planted with Impatience in various colours, front and back...these are really something, for a small space.

I am not getting the bushiness I expected with my TopsyTurvy and two cherry-type toms planted in the bottom...They insist on growing upright...lots of flowers, not much greenery...time will tell.

Have you seen Ruffles petunia? Would be great in one of the first things I mentioned...you have to go vertical when you've used up all the horizontall!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby MareE » Jul 17, 2009 3:12 pm

evepet wrote:I got a tomato cage and tried to insert it down as far as possible into the soil... but it's being stopped by the water reservoir ...the prongs of the cage (from the bottom up to the lowest metal circle) measures about 14", and I can't get the cage to far enough into the soil so that that first metal circle is into or touching the soil... it will only enter to a depth of about 12" and doesn't seem very 'secure'.

This is my first try growing tommytoes, beefsteaks and paste and in-between size-wise, in 5kg Milkbone pails, evepet, and I'm using cages. Too shallow for stakes, natch. There will be a point when cage will become too wobbly, so I'm drilling holes under rims/lips of pails, 1 hole per side, and will secure to cage wires with pipe cleaners or ripped up Tshirt strips or whatever handy. (Except for duct tape. haha) The pails are 14 3/4" high and 9 1/2" square. Could this method somehow be applied to your containers with reservoirs?

And Blue O', what are tote containers? Are they like a Boblaws shopping bag kind of tote?

MareE;o} running out of containers
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby bluewillow » Jul 17, 2009 4:01 pm

I call these tote containers but maybe the incorrect name. The type of container (comes in colours too) found at C.T., H.Depot etc. with lids. They are handy but do need holes drilled at base and need constant watering as they dry out so quickly. Almost a daily watering I am noticing. Many different sizes ... this is my second year, Mare O'.

I've noticed the lack of bees btw.

bw
bluewillow

Postby MareE » Jul 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Ah! So it is—your second year growing in totes. Brain poot. Not one single fleur on Toms, Blue O'. Hope the little pollinators show up when they do blossom! May have to make a sign with beeline arrow pointing UP for them. teehee Seriously, lack of bees is sadly a growing concern, isn't it.

Mare O' ;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Next

Return to Container Gardening