Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

my white girl

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

my white girl

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jun 01, 2009 3:49 pm

A neighbour told me that I must paint this white girl statue my mother bought for me 6 years ago. She has been standing outdoors, amidst the thyme, winter and summer for years now. Her basket mostly holds colorful stones and shells, cuz plants seem to die in there.

Would any of you suggest she be painted?

This woman has gnomes and elves and fairies in her cute garden, all painted in bright colors. I never thought to paint this little girl. What do you think? Would you paint her? and what colors?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: my white girl

Postby Laura » Jun 01, 2009 4:00 pm

If it were me I would not paint her ...she is beautiful as is.

I just love her slippered feet.
Laura

Postby kelly_m » Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm

I agree...I like her just the way she is!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Jun 01, 2009 9:22 pm

No! I also would not think of painting her. She's starting to get a lovely patina, which is so attractive.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jun 02, 2009 1:23 am

Well good, thank you!....it's how I feel too, so now there are four of us who agree that letting her age with a natural patina is best.

Question 2: what to put into her basket? Maybe I'll look for different things....seasonal things. Easter eggs at eastertime (if she isn't covered with snow then); pinecones and branches at Xmastime; the skies the limit, I just thought...
Trailblaze1

Postby kelly_m » Jun 02, 2009 9:49 am

Have you tried succulents????
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Jun 02, 2009 9:53 am

Succulents would be good!
Also, one of the thymes - either woolly or Mother of. Lime green creeping jenny would also look nice, but she has a tendency to go where she's not supposed to! :roll:
The most important aspect though would be to make sure there is a drainage hole in the container.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jun 02, 2009 10:10 am

or some kind of creeping sedum? I'll look today. I have tons of rock garden flowers all over this property. I forget sometimes, that one can simply transplant, re-arrange! Today is the day. Will show you pics when done.

It is our 25th wedding anniversary today, and we're going out to a fancy lunch to celebrate (I don't do evenings). We have been together for 29 years, but only married for 25.
Trailblaze1

Postby kelly_m » Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Congrats!!!! and Enjoy your lunch!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jun 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Our car picked up a stone in the brakes on the way to lunch. We had to drive 45 mins to the dealership to get it fixed. No charge......done in 5 minutes,but did it every squeal the whole journey there.

Lunch was late, at 2PM and our fav restaurant was closed, so we ate at a 'family restaurant' - not bad. Then I bought a bleeding heart (yellow leaves, pink flowers) as my anniversary gift to us, and some groceries. Got home at 5:30 so tired.

It is now 6:40PM, DH wants no supper at all, and I have to go a-planting in my garden. Hope the bugs don't get me too badly. DH promised to at least sit in a chair near me and keep me company (he hates gardening, so sad). Because he is red/green colorblind, he has horrid memories of pulling out flowers instead of weeds in his mother's gardens as a child/teenager. He was soundly scolded, as if he did it on purpose. He was 30 before he discovered his colorblindness. His mother never knew!....it showed up when he went to try to get flying lessons. Couldn't see a green number in a sea of red dots, or vice versa. His colorblindness makes me sad too.....he cannot see pink at all; red/brown and green all look the same to him. He does see blue and yellow though.
Trailblaze1

Next

Return to Container Gardening