Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Oriental Poppies Wanted Pls

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Oriental Poppies Wanted Pls

Postby Marla » Jun 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi, I am new to this site. Just joined yesterday. Am LOVING it!!!
Does anyone have any poppy seeds to share? Any colors would be fine, but would like to have a couple of orange. Am not familiar with the care of them, so any advice would be appreciated. They are a perrenial, correct? I also read that they can be shared by root cuttings as well. Are they hard to start from seeds? I do not need too many of each color as I live in a townhouise and have a fairly small size garden. Thx Marla
Marla

Re: Oriental Poppies Wanted Pls

Postby MrsJP » Jun 20, 2009 1:47 am

Hi Marla, Do you still want Oriental Poppies?? I have a few seeds left you can have. They are the single cup orange with a small chance of pinks. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will pop them in the mail and you can send me a replacement stamp when you get them. As for planting I throw them out on the ground and let them grow that way, but I don't see why you couldn't start them in pots. I wouldn't put a lot of soil on top of the seed because it is a very fine seed. Jackie
Jackie
MrsJP

Postby TheFilly » Jul 08, 2009 11:32 am

Oriental poppies get quite large, I dont know that i would recommend them for a small town house garden. With their size, they will push out, cover other plants. Plus they look ugly, scraggly after they flower, so you have to cut them down, leaving a large gap in your garden.

Just a thought.. :wink:
TheFilly

Postby marial000 » Jul 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi Marla, Oriental Poppies can be either annual or perennial; the annual ones self-seed readily. As The flowers are pretty but fragile, and the flowering period is short. Rain often bends the flower stalks are dislodge the petals. The whole plant then dies down after flowering, though it regrow and flower again in fall. You may want to grow some other plants to cover the bare spots during summer time. What about some day lilies? They flower the whole summer till frost. Have fun.

Maria
marial000

Postby Aigle » Jul 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Marla,

If you have full sun and do poppys, might I suggest adding Sunflowers to the mix for height? I have less than 1.5m x 2m out front and truly regret not adding sunflowers this year.

A poppy will take at least 30cm of space. I am letting my vermillion ones go to seed this year and if the seed heads are not stolen (it's happened) I should have a good crop. I only have 2m x 2.5 m out front and half to agree that perhaps daylillies wil give you a longer bloom in a small space.

But again, if they have a chance to ripen, I should have lots of seeds in the fall, they are an unnamed variety that a since passed-on neighbour grew, so I know they take from seed very well.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Return to Garden Seed Exchange