Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

swiss chard problems?!!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

swiss chard problems?!!

Postby ApC23 » May 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi, im new to gardening...this spring I started my first two raised beds and im looking over my gf''s vegetable garden as her father just recently passed away.

Im having alot of trouble with swiss chard...the swiss chard plants I have in my garden have got this white-brown spots all over the leaves, im not sure what it is but I removed the infected leaves
Also,
the swiss chard in my gf's garden is giving me the most problems, it seems as if something is biting the stalks. but whatever it is doesnt bite through the whole stalk, just halfway through it, and it just leaves it to wilt. does ayone know what this is? its so darn annoying going out every morning and seeing the stalks wilting down. its happening at the base of the stalks. ive removed a bunch of swiss chard leaves because of this and im starting to loathe these plants now...
ApC23

Re: swiss chard problems?!!

Postby MareE » Jun 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey there APC23! Welcome to gardening! I've grown Swiss chard for a while and find that ear wigs were always congregating at the base of the plants, the disgusting useless creatures. BLECK! Usually a few outer leaves of the plants would have those holes and I'm not sure what causes them. Same thing that happened to Spinach (which I gave up trying to grow after several years of failure with that cropette). But the holey leaves are still edible to a degree of cosmetic taste IF you HAVE to. IMHO. Tho' I didn't donate those blemished leaves to the Food Bank.

Hope you get knowledgeable replies to Swiss chard dilemma. That's good of you to watch over your friend's garden.

MareE;o} hoping you will loathe chard no longer soon. (Love the "loathe" word. LOL)
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Mervyn » Jun 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Can't help you there , but if your not seeing any signs of any kinds of insects , then you need to get yourself a flashlight once it's dark ( hour after sunset or later ) and look to see what's going on, don't forget to look Under the leaves.

Keep removing leaves as you have been, make sure you don't compost them.
Mervyn

Postby OGrubber » Jun 02, 2009 9:45 am

Hi ApC23!
If your white-brown spots sort of look like tunnels then leafminer is the culprit. Getting rid of the leaves [but not in the compost] will keep the larva from maturing and re-infesting you for the whole season.
Sounds like possibly a slug problem in your gf's bed [garden bed - laf!]. Slugs will take chunks as they move along up a plant. Crushed eggs shells, oyster shell, or grit [or any inhospitable surface] sprinkled around the base of the plants will help control them.
Don't give up on chard. It's a real garden trooper - and tastes delish!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby MareE » Jun 02, 2009 11:41 am

OGrubber wrote:Hi ApC23!

Sounds like possibly a slug problem in your gf's bed [garden bed - laf!].

[b][color=#400080]heh heh WHAT! Slugs you say, Inge? Do they munch nocturnally as Mervyn suggested the pests could be doing? Well, no more eating the holey leaves. No amount of washing will decimate the memories of slug slime. shudder I'll try crushed egg shells this year. THANKS for coming to the rescue!

Oh, forgot to mention that Swiss chard is "cut and come again", APC23. Meaning, you can remove the outer UNholey leaves for eating and the plant could very well last most of the season. I've sown a successive row late June/early July.

Yes. please don't give up!!

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby ApC23 » Jun 03, 2009 12:00 am

I put some crushed eggshells around a few of my swiss chard plants today. I just went outside now with a flashlight to see if anything was there. At first it looked like nothing was at any of the plants...just as I was about to leave I decided to check my last swiss chard plant which was hidden in the corner and was the most damaged of them all...and you were right, there was a nasty slug there. It was about two inches long and thick and juicy...ugghh. I flicked it on the grass and clubbed it with a shovel. Tomrrow I think im going to set out those beer traps
ApC23

Postby MareE » Jun 03, 2009 12:15 pm

[color=#400080]That's the spirit! Whomping them with a shovel is satisfying, isn't it? But you could do as Smitty does—find a flat rock to place evil slugs on, and another rock of choice to pulverize them, APC23. An adaptation of the mortar and pestle technique. LOL

Have fun!

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Jun 03, 2009 12:22 pm

LMAO at the visuals!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Jun 03, 2009 1:35 pm

" Who's that mad woman clubbing the lawn with a shovel in the dead of nite? Sure as shooting she's not picking dew worms."

It's part of what makes gardening therapeutic, right? chuckles

MareE;o} checking flashlite batteries. Rocks at the ready.
MareE

Postby ApC23 » Jun 12, 2009 10:19 pm

okay...ive managed to get rid of the slugs and whatever else was biting holes in my swiss chard, but im still having problems with the leaves turning brown/transparent. it starts on the tip of the leaves and moves inward. also when i turn the leaf over there are these white specs that look like paint chips, usually 3 or 4 beside each other.

Also, ive been growing spinach and when the leaves get to about 4 or 5 inches big they start to curl up and I get these small black bugs hiding inside. Do the leaves curl naturally or are whatever the insects are, making them curl up?

And one last question...how do I get the birds to stop eating my lettuce and radicchio?
ApC23

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening