Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Self seeding Clematis

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Self seeding Clematis

Postby njjjjh » Jun 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Hello: Have found a Clematis seedling in my front garden. There are 3 other Clematis in this area. Although an experienced gardener have never had this happen before........how about you?
njjjjh

Re: Self seeding Clematis

Postby Laura » Jun 15, 2009 5:30 am

I found some seedlings in my garden this year too,gotta like free plants .. :) ... I will let them grow a bit more and then pot them up for my sister and sister-in-law who have always admired mine.I read they are hard to start from seeds so didn't try starting any ... just goes to prove that Ma Nature does things a lot better than me.
Laura

Postby B_BQ » Jun 15, 2009 9:28 am

Lucky you! I don't suppose you have any idea what clematis it is!

There is one, 'Tangutica', which is quite pretty to look at, with small yellow bell-shaped flowers, and pretty seed heads. This one can be a nightmare. Even after cutting to the ground every spring it would grow at least 20 feet in the season. Not only that, but I would have seedlings all over the place. I would say its invasive, and would never plant one again in an average-sized garden.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Jun 15, 2009 9:40 am

I sprouters I have are either a pink one called Lincoln Star or a white one called Gillian Blades.I bought them potted together when we went to a year end sale a few years ago.

Here is a picture .. kind of hard to see the pink one ....

My SIL bought a yellow one ... she doesn't like it much,she says the flowers are so little you can hardly see them .... but the robin's like to nest in it so she keeps it for them ... :D
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Jun 15, 2009 10:38 am

Tangutica is not one of the prettiest Clematis and it can get really unruly. I have this yellow one and it is just entering it's 3rd year so we'll see how it does.

http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/vines ... tiara.html
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby njjjjh » Jun 15, 2009 9:05 pm

The three clematis that are in the same area are Nelly Moser, Artic Queen and Polish Spirit. I did years ago have a Tangutica (sp) but actually managed to kill it........ looking forward to seeing the bloom on my little seedling.......

njjjjh Southern Ontario
njjjjh

Return to Plant Talk