Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

swiss chard problems?!!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: swiss chard problems?!!

Postby MareE » Jun 13, 2009 5:00 pm

ApC23 wrote:And one last question...how do I get the birds to stop eating my lettuce and radicchio?

You mean the seed, right, APC23? I have frames of chicken wire (about 3'X6' rescued from a Petsmart dumpster that I use for that purpose till the seedlings pop up. They also make good climbing apparatus for Spring peas, etc.

For the little black bugs, could they be earwigs? Little pincers extending from their icky rear ends? In some varieties of Spinach, leaves are supposed to curl. What kind did your friend sow?

When my Swiss chard looks brown and transparent at the tips, I chalk it up to sunburn.

Sorry I can't be of better help. But kudos getting rid of the sl-ughs. So, the sprinkling eggshells was the solution?

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby beeman » Jun 13, 2009 7:26 pm

ApC23 wrote:Also, ive been growing spinach and when the leaves get to about 4 or 5 inches big they start to curl up and I get these small black bugs hiding inside. Do the leaves curl naturally or are whatever the insects are, making them curl up?

And one last question...how do I get the birds to stop eating my lettuce and radicchio?

Can't help with the birds, didn't know the eat lettuce!
I think you might find 'black fly' are causing the leaves to curl, same as green fly. As they suck the juice from the plant or leaf. I use Compost Tea against my bugs, but you might find that 'Insecticidal Soap' will do the trick. The curled leaf will make it difficult to get at them so two or three treatments might be necessary.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby ApC23 » Jun 14, 2009 1:21 am

nope not the seeds...they pick at the lettuce and radicchio leaves, and for the slugs i also put diatomacous earth around the swiss chard along with the egg shells...so one of the two did the trick...or both.

MareE wrote:
ApC23 wrote:And one last question...how do I get the birds to stop eating my lettuce and radicchio?

You mean the seed, right, APC23? I have frames of chicken wire (about 3'X6' rescued from a Petsmart dumpster that I use for that purpose till the seedlings pop up. They also make good climbing apparatus for Spring peas, etc.

For the little black bugs, could they be earwigs? Little pincers extending from their icky rear ends? In some varieties of Spinach, leaves are supposed to curl. What kind did your friend sow?

When my Swiss chard looks brown and transparent at the tips, I chalk it up to sunburn.

Sorry I can't be of better help. But kudos getting rid of the sl-ughs. So, the sprinkling eggshells was the solution?

MareE;o}
ApC23

Postby MareE » Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

APC23, first thought was that birds (were they Robins?) were pecking at the sl-ughs on your lettuce and radicchio leaves, but you've gotten rid of the slugs. Like beeman, I didn't know that birds ate salad greens.

I'm stumped.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby ApC23 » Jun 16, 2009 4:58 pm

yea they are those little grey birds, smaller than the robins. they take a bite off the leaf and just fly off.

i have another question...what do you guys use to fertilize your vegetables? is there an easier way than to test the soil for ph levels and add different fertilizers to each type of vegeteble depending on the ph levels? what if i just add a neutral compost on top of the soil? I have beans, tomatos, cucumbers, lettuce, radichio, collard, chard, carrots, peppers, zucchini, potatos, onions and cellery in my garden...not sure how to do this. before the garden was handed down to me, the man would use just manure, and i'd find random bones, and peels in the soil as well.
ApC23

Postby MareE » Jun 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Personally, I use cattle or sheep manure for cukes, tomatoes, peppers and squash. Most everything else gets kitchen compost, especially salad greens, and I really like a President's Choice mushroom compost but haven't seen it this year. And I used Miracle-Gro there, a practice I'm trying to wean myself off of for the home veggie garden. I also use Rotenone for cucumber blossom pests which you'll see soon enuff. I do not call myself an organic gardener...yet. LOL

Hope this helps a bit. I'm very curious to know what your lettuce-eating bird is!

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby Mervyn » Jun 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm curious to as to what bird is doing this . . the only bird I know that eats lettuce offhand would be a parrot :)
Mervyn

Postby MareE » Jun 30, 2009 8:53 am

Never seen a grey Parrot, Beeman. What about a Cockatiel? Used to feed my brother's Darcy lettuce.

APC23, want to add that you're remarkable taking over your friend's garden. Its size and number of veggies to tend must be quite a challenge as a first-timer. How's it going? And growing?

MareE;o}
MareE

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening