Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Raspberries in Containers?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Raspberries in Containers?

Postby Marla » Jun 05, 2009 1:00 pm

I live in a townhouse in the Toronto area. We are not allowed to plant veggies or fruits in our garden, only in containers. I had a piece of a raspberry bush given to me with roots.(No idea what variety! Just from someones back yard) Can I plant it in a container? And if so, could u pls advise on how to care for it, eg, cutting back, and wintering over. If it's not advisable, do u know of a variety that could be planted in a container? Thx so much ! :) Marla
Marla

Re: Raspberries in Containers?

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jun 30, 2009 7:39 pm

You aren't being ignored, Maria...around here if you don't get an answer or response it is usually because no one has THE answer you need.

I don't think I can be much help to you...but, I do have experience with growing raspberries in a townhouse CONDO complex, and while I didn't do the growing, the folks who did were not highly thought of for doing so. Raspberries put out runners and spread...and are very prickly...many folks regard as weeds.

So...a container. If you want to build one, buy one, you need about 6 feet, at least a foot wide, and several inches deep. They like sunshine, water, and a nice dose of fireplace wood ashes are a treat too. You will mulch in winter. Google this.

You must learn how to get rid of old growth, encourage new growth, each year...you can't plant them and forget them.

Good luck and keep in touch...raspberries are my favourite fruit (but I am on the west coast, with very different climate conditions and can be of no further help to you...sorry!) You should have great success with strawberries, if you change your mind!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Raspberries in Containers?

Postby Eeyore » Jun 30, 2009 11:32 pm

I did not see this posting until tonight. I think Liz is right, raspberries need room to spread but with a large enough container you might be able to do it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Container Gardening