Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

lupins

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

lupins

Postby countrychic » Jul 01, 2009 11:10 am

I have a sea of lupins in my front garden. They have all finished flowering, and now have hundreds of seed pods. Do I cut these off, or leave as is? The area is pretty much full of lupins, so not sure if reseeding is a good idea. Do the same lupins come up next spring, or do they have to reseed to keep the bed full?
thanx
new garden, new challenges!
countrychic

Re: lupins

Postby rosie » Jul 01, 2009 11:24 am

Lupins will self seed on their own. Once they set enough nitrogen in the ground, which is what they do, they will not produce as well. Lupins like nitrogen poor soil which is why you see them on the sides of the road. Don't bother marking "the pretty ones" for seeds as eventually they all revert back to blue/pruple. I am of course talking the wild lupins. I have no experience with the ones you buy in garden centres.
A house without a garden is not a home.
rosie

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 01, 2009 4:01 pm

You don't say whether these are annual lupins or perennial ones. If they came up this Spring, but you didn't plant them, they are probably perennial. Perennial lupins deteriorate after a half-dozen years. You might let a few of the seed heads self-sow each year so that you have younger ones to replace the older ones you may eventually remove. If you want to grow specific cultivars, you may want to purchase new plants or store-bought seed as the older ones need to be removed. Self-sown lupins cross-pollinate and it is anybody's guess what the color of second generation plants will be. Lupins like to grow in decent soil and are hungry eaters.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby sboricic » Jul 02, 2009 8:22 am

In a book I have it mentions to deadhead them and they should rebloom. Am I to cut the whole stem off or just where the flowers are before they go to seed?
sboricic

Postby kso » Jul 03, 2009 4:56 pm

they can rebloom. deadheading perennials to me usually means remove the whole flower stalk or as much of it as you can
kso

Postby butterfly » Jul 03, 2009 7:58 pm

My lupins are perennials and yes if you take off the spent blooms they should rebloom

Mine do but mot all plants will re-bloom. Maybe not as vigorous and as large as the first time but they will rebloom

Cut the bloom off right down to the stem.. The new bloom will re grow again

I didn't know there was an annual lupin
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby countrychic » Jul 04, 2009 1:25 pm

okay I removed the flower stems. The leaves look tired and some are lying on the ground. I trimmed those off too.
Now the other problem is they are covered with aphids! Thousands of them. Can I spray with water and dish-washing liquid?
countrychic

Postby Eeyore » Jul 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Give them a blast with a strong hose. Lupins are notorious aphid magnets!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Jul 07, 2009 4:35 pm

I had a dreadful infestation of aphids earlier this year. The whole plant was moving! :shock:
I gave them a very hard spray with the hose to wash them off, then sprayed them with Safers, an insecticidal soap, and I've repeated the process a couple of more times.

I also remove the flower heads once they start going brown, and tidy up any tired-looking foliage. I will leave a couple of seed heads on though to self seed.

Mine have come back true creamy white for 4 years now. I did split them 4 years ago, and transplanted some to the front of my house. Those at the front of the house turned pink! :roll:

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Plant Talk