Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

How does one get rid of goutweed?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

How does one get rid of goutweed?

Postby CG admin » Jul 15, 2009 5:04 pm

how can i get rid of goutweed....not the varigated one...the weed... i bought some plants from a plant sale now i have this coming up everywhere in my flowerbed... i have been pulling it out!

(posted for a reader)
CG admin
Site Admin

Re: How does one get rid of goutweed?

Postby Eeyore » Jul 15, 2009 5:08 pm

It's said that the only way to get rid of goutweed is to move! Seriously.

It's almost impossible to get rid of because every little piece of broken root grows a new plant.
Keep pulling it up, or remove your other plants, carefully making sure you have no goutweed root and transplant them somewhere else and then try smothering the goutweed with black poly and letting it cook for at least a full growing season.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Jul 15, 2009 6:38 pm

I am in complete agreement with Lyn.
This is seriously nasty stuff - virtually impossible to get rid of.

Most people don't want to take the time or energy to remove all the other plants in the bed, but in the long run this is the quickest and most successful way. But it's essential that not even the tiniest bit of goutweed is not inadvertently moved with the plants!

If there isn't room anywhere to put other plants, maybe a neighbour, or friend, would find a spot for them. Alternatively, gather together some large plastic pots and put the other plants into them.

Be prepared to lose that bed for at least a year or more. Cover very well with black plastic and make sure no light or air gets underneath - and pray!
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby CG admin » Jul 16, 2009 9:22 am

Yikes! I will have to keep an eye out for this myself! Thanks for the advice :)
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby Laura » Jul 16, 2009 10:51 am

Since the weed was introduced to this one bed I would absolutely did out the whole bed.It might be a bit of work but totally worth it.Dig out every piece of goutweed and anything you even suspect is goutweed then smother with the plastic.

I have been fighting this rotten weed for thirteen years and it's still winning.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Jul 16, 2009 11:32 am

We did a complete garden dig about 3 years ago. We were trying to get rid of quack grass.
Some got introduce back in with a few plants but it's much easier to keep on top of now and mulching sure helps retain the moisture.

We replaced about 10 yards of soil with new soil.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bcgardener » Jul 18, 2009 9:25 am

I hate this stuff, it has taken over every bed. It came in on something, and took off. It's been an ongoing battle for about 10 years.
bcgardener

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 18, 2009 10:43 am

bcgardener wrote:I hate this stuff, it has taken over every bed. It came in on something, and took off. It's been an ongoing battle for about 10 years.

Goutweed can suck the joy right ouf of gardening if it gets going. Grrrr!

This is one instance where application of RoundUp to goutweed in an existing bed using a paint brush is worth it.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Aigle » Jul 18, 2009 11:08 am

I am not a chemical gardener, but if it is legal in your area I have to agree that using round-up or killex would be a good first step. Do not kid yourself, you will have to dig all of it out anyway, every last rootlet will eventually have to be removed. Even if you smother it or poison it, that will only make the digging easier.

Right now, I am only concentrating on my beds and have left the 20 or so feet of lawn infestation alone. When I get the beds sterilized of the stuff, I will apply a "scorched earth" policy on that part.

I have found that keeping the soil light and "peaty" makes it easier to pull the runners out without breaking.

I refuse to put the roots in the City's yard waste collection (when they are not on strike) since I fear that they will just chop it up and infect their own compost. I can't burn it here, so I have a sealed garbage can and I rot it.

Horrible, horrible stuff. AND STILL FOR SALE AT A GARDEN CENTRE NEAR YOU!!! :evil:
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Laura » Jul 18, 2009 5:16 pm

I do not use poisons in my garden either so have been digging it out.I found that if you wait until it rains and dig while the earth is wet it comes out very nicely.

Death to the dreaded goutweed .... and good luck to those in the fight !!
Laura

Next

Return to Plant Talk