Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby KylyS » Jul 18, 2009 3:29 pm

So how big is your avacado now? They are fun to go .. have you ever tried a taro root? They are very cheap from the produce section at grocery stores... I use them instead of buying the expensive bulbs. It is very tropical looking too and gets about 2 feet tall .. they are my fave .. Kyly :)
KylyS

Postby angusrobinson » Jul 20, 2009 10:33 am

Aigle, you most certainly are one of Ralph's godparents! Please send your scientology pamphlet to:

Transcontinental Media
attn: Ralph the Avocado
25 Sheppard Avenue West, Suite 100
Toronto, ON
M2N 6S7

(I guarantee anything sent to Ralph's attention will reach him - he's become quite the spectacle in the office!).

He's a bit over a foot tall now. I've never tried growing Taro - that's a neat idea. Right now, I'm attempting to germinate a mango pit, and some plum pits. We'll see what happens!
angusrobinson
Site Admin

Postby MareE » Jul 20, 2009 10:50 am

Angus, what leaf would Miss Manners shake to congratulate Ralph? Hey, proud HGM Aigle! You could practically hand deliver young impressionable Ralph's water and Scientology pamphlets. (Good recycling practice, btw LOL)

Mango and taro root on shopping list for their pits...and root I guess, Kyly. Or bulb?

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Aigle » Jul 21, 2009 8:31 am

Ummmm, Drat. Everybody missed it.

In NO way would I EVER send anything from that church to ANYBODY, Floral or Faunal.

It was the Church of SCENICtology.

(Har de har)

I'll see if I can create something though...might be funny.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Smitty » Jul 21, 2009 9:41 am

LOL!!! Aigle....proof that our brains do only recognize first and last letter to come up with words. must take second look to decipher sometimes :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby angusrobinson » Jul 24, 2009 3:14 pm

It's time for the Friday photo update! Ralph seems to be growing nicely. He's now got 8 big leaves, and a couple little shoots in the works. I think soon it will be time to pinch the top.
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson
Site Admin

Postby Laura » Jul 25, 2009 6:38 am

Ralph looks very good.Nice color and growing tall.I imagine it is because of the wonderful care he is getting.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the progress report.

GROW RALPH GROW !!!
Laura

Postby MareE » Jul 25, 2009 7:07 am

Smitty wrote:LOL!!! Aigle....proof that our brains do only recognize first and last letter to come up with words. must take second look to decipher sometimes :)

Smitty, my excuse is that I trusted how Angus deciphered "scenictology". laff Aigle, you got yourself another Fictionary addition!

GROW RALPH GROW !!! to para-echo Laura's encouraging bellow!

Yep, that's what we're all here for, replicaprada. And Welcome to CG forums! (Where do you pick up your designer knock-offs? heh heh)

MareE a humble Ralph nominator;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby angusrobinson » Aug 05, 2009 12:43 pm

I've got a problem, and hopefully one of you can provide some advice for me.

A few weeks ago, I bought some plants at a farmers market and put them next to Ralph the Avocado on the windowsill. Recently, I noticed that there were bugs on these new plants as they came from outdoors. The bugs were aphids and fruit flies. I didn't think much of it until I noticed that the bugs were starting to attack the avocado as well. So I've gotten rid of the new plants (they weren't doing so well, anyway), and I'm wondering what to do about the avocado... I'm not seeing any bugs on the plant itself, but I am seeing what I assume are tiny larva in the soil - they're especially active after I water the plant. They're light in colour - almost white - and a couple millimeters long. Can anyone suggest a means of getting rid of these pests? Is there a product that I could buy that would get rid of them? I'd prefer not to use harsh chemicals if possible, but if that's the only solution, then so be it.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks!
angusrobinson
Site Admin

Postby Eeyore » Aug 05, 2009 3:27 pm

It sounds like you may have fungus gnats. One solution that has been suggested and appears to have some success is cinnamon on top of the soil. You can also interrupt their breeding cycle by putting a layer of sand or small rocks to cover the top of the soil. If you are finding them on the leaves wipe them with a soft, damp cloth. Top and bottom. You can also use insecticidal soap but I have found that there are a lot of plants that don't like it so I try to avoid it whenever possible.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening