Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomato Flowers Dying

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Tomato Flowers Dying

Postby Crazy4Columbine » Jul 21, 2009 1:15 pm

I have two strong Tomato plants growing, Golden Girl variety, one plant has one fruit on it. Each plant have many flowers and flower "pods?" but most of them before or upon flowering dry up and turn brown and nothing becomes of them. What is causing this and how can I remedy the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Crazy4Columbine

Re: Tomato Flowers Dying

Postby beeman » Jul 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Your flowers are not being fertilized.
You can achieve this by vibrating the flower stem, or better still a spritz with a small hand sprayer with warm water. I do mine every evening spraying straight into the open flower, this year I'm getting a good set now the weather has warmed some.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Crazy4Columbine » Jul 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Really. Well isn't that interesting! I'll give it a go and let you know if it works. Is this something I have to do every day or just once? Why aren't they doing it on their own?

If you couldn't already tell, I'm a total newbie to Tomato growing.

Thanks for the info =)
Crazy4Columbine

Postby beeman » Jul 22, 2009 9:00 am

Crazy4Columbine wrote: Is this something I have to do every day or just once? Why aren't they doing it on their own?

It does require insects or vibration to effectively pollinate tomatoes. So provided you get either one then you'll get fruit.
I have tomatoes growing in the greenhouse and there would be a total lack of pollination there, so I spray, almost every day and get a good set of fruit on every truss.
Just out of interest. The commercial greenhouse growers use Bumble bees to pollinate their tomatoes, they actually buy Bumble bee nests to release in the greenhouses.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Crazy4Columbine » Jul 22, 2009 10:27 am

I have seen quite a few Bumble Bees all around my yard pollinating all my other flowers, so why they've decided to skip my tomato flowers I don't know? Either way, I vibrated and sprayed last night and will hope to see some baby tomatoes soon!
Crazy4Columbine

Postby OGrubber » Jul 23, 2009 9:51 am

Cold temps can trigger the plant to abort - have you had temps go down to 10 degrees C, by any chance?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Crazy4Columbine » Jul 27, 2009 8:38 pm

I've sprayed the flowers with water almost every day, and vibrated the flower stems gently just with my hand. Is there another way this should be done? The day after I first vibrated and sprayed, about 5 flowers opened right up! Not sure if they will produce any fruit but time will tell. It has been very hot here for the last week or so, so fingers crossed, my one lonely tomato will soon have some friends hanging out with it.
Crazy4Columbine

Postby beeman » Jul 28, 2009 10:04 am

Crazy4Columbine wrote: Not sure if they will produce any fruit but time will tell. It has been very hot here for the last week or so, so fingers crossed, my one lonely tomato will soon have some friends hanging out with it.

Patience petal, these things take time.
Your answer is the heat and dry conditions. The best fertilization is warm days, cool evenings with heavy dew, then it's automatic and you won't have to bother.
Once you see baby maters on the vine you'll appreciate the effort.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby MareE » Jul 31, 2009 12:28 pm

OGrubber wrote:Cold temps can trigger the plant to abort - have you had temps go down to 10 degrees C, by any chance?

Prompted to check Schwarze Sarah progress, Inge. Looking good! Growing in containers on a black shingle material roof, thought it'd be TOO hot for them up there. Sure can't walk barefoot. sssssst C4C, that's a heritage beefsteak variety from Inge's organic seed. First fruit appeared the other day, and sure it won't be lonely for long! Good luck with your Golden Girls!

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Crazy4Columbine » Jul 31, 2009 12:38 pm

Was taking a close look at my tomato plant last night and Woohoo! Teeny tiny baby maters! I am thrilled to bits =) Now my 1 lonely and surely growing tomato won't be a lone hanger!

This may be the start of something dangerous.....

The vibrate & spray method worked wonders...thanks!
Crazy4Columbine

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening