Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What is the lastest you can transplant in the fall

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What is the lastest you can transplant in the fall

Postby gardenwanderer » Aug 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Hello,
I'm in 6A zone in Toronto and I'm moving to a new house this fall but not until October 29th.
I have a variety of perennials and a few I'm really attached to that I want to take with me: peony bush, baptisa bush, sea holly, clematis, honeysuckle, lilies, ferns, hosta, etc.

So, I'm just wondering what people think about the timing and transplanting things that late.
I will be moving within the same area only it will be on the lakeshore this time.
gardenwanderer

Re: What is the lastest you can transplant in the fall

Postby Aigle » Aug 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Sorry but I'm near the Lakeshore (Coxwell and Queen) and even with the lake effect, I'd say Oct 29th is a bit late for any recovery...even with the lake effect. I'll go as far as Oct 1st-ish (near my annual Birthday vacation which I ALWAYS fight for :wink: ) but even then, I have had issues with tender perrennials.

I'm thinking typical falls, not unusually slow, warm ones.

Mind you, I am sure there are people who can advise winter mulching.protection that I haven't tried. I'm just saying that being in Toronto, being near the Lake gives you about a week to ten days grace, but really not a month.

i am sure there is some temporary "keep alive" method, I just dont know it. I wish you luck and you really will enjoy the benefits of "lake effect" on days like the past few. :D
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby B_BQ » Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm in Zone 5a/b, south central Ontario. I moved house nearly 4 years ago, November 2005. I brought with me a variety of plants I was attached to. I had about a month to dig up, pot up, and transport plants to my new house. Obviously I couldn't plant anything into a final home, so planted the pots in whatever free patch of earth I could find. I brought with me several clematis, hosta, astilbe, poppies, ferns, tree peony and more. They were all in pots. I buried all the pots in whatever patch of earth I could find. Surprisingly everything survived the winter, and are still surviving 4 years later, despite being moved several times!
I'm always amazed at just how tough plants are - just tell them you love them and they will come through for you! :lol:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lulu » Aug 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi, Gardenwanderer, and welcome to the forum!

I am another "taking my favorites with me" person, and have done exactly what Brenda has done; planted my favorites in pots, , then sink the pots anywhere you can find space; haven't lost a plant yet! Just ensure you are very generous with the root ball you are potting up, and ensure the pot is buried deep enough and/or mulched heavily .

Do you have a friend with a veggie patch that you could use for the fall/winter? This would give you a little more wiggle room to figure out where to put them at the new house!

Another solution would be to dig a trench, and put all the pots in the trench, and bury them.

As a last resort, once the contract is final and binding, the old owners of your new house, might let you plant them earlier.

Where there's a will, there's a way!
Lulu

Postby Sheikea » Aug 12, 2009 9:56 am

You could talk to the new owners or the lawyer and state that there are a handful of perinnials you will be coming back for and mark them with a big red stake.That way you do not have to worry about it and can get the new flower beds ready. :)
Sheikea

Postby gardenwanderer » Aug 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks so much for all your ideas. I'm just wondering why the planting them in pots vs. transplanting them straight into the ground?

I am trying to work out with the owners of the house to bring a few of my favorites but it's hard because she has a very manicured garden and I don't know how she'll like me digging it up. But I might just pick an area out of the way and dig the whole thing up and put the plants in as a holding place. I was just worried about having to transplant them again in the spring.
gardenwanderer

Postby Lulu » Aug 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Gardenwanderer, the suggestion about pots, was in the event you did not know where the plants were going to go, and they had to be put somewhere on a temporary basis.

Even if you come up with a "holding place", you can put the plants directly into the ground, but, it still means disturbing the root system, again. Leaving them in a pot might lessen the shock of being moved twice in the same year.
Lulu

Return to Plant Talk