Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Snaps in Containers

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Snaps in Containers

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm

If I do not save the seeds from the snapdragons in my Containers outside, what chance do I have of them reseeding themselves, like they do in my garden bed? Should I just collect the seeds? Please let me know. Thank you.
elizabeth24

Re: Snaps in Containers

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Yes, collect the seeds. Snaps will bloom right up until they freeze and it's easy to start them from seed. I just toss the seeds into a pot in early spring and then move them outdooors when the temperatures allow. If you want to you can save the seeds and then start them directly outdoors in the early spring. They are one of the easiest plants to start from seed.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:17 pm

What do you do? I always have trouble planting Snapdragon seeds, and have to buy the plants>
elizabeth24

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2009 10:21 pm

I start mine in the spring indoors and transplant out when it gets warm. Usually about the first week of June. I start hardening off as soon as the daytime temps are above 5 degrees or so.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:25 pm

If I leave a few seeds in the container to overwinter, do you think that would work since it is a container? I have tried many times to grow snaps from seed, and it doesn't work for me. They usually get a fungus disease, which cammomile tea can prevent, but I am just wondering.
elizabeth24

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm

It might work but the seeds may get too wet. I always thought that snaps would self germinate but I've never really had a lot of luck that way. According to this site they need to be started at warm temps.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jehan/Infor ... sseedx.htm
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Well, it is worth a try. Thanks :D
elizabeth24

Return to Container Gardening