Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lilies in the fall care

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Lilies in the fall care

Postby LilySue2 » Sep 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Hello,
Wanting to know if I can cut down my lilies now since they have finished blooming. Also, I have some lavender in a pot which has done very little growing. I would like to bring it in for the winter, what soil would improve its stunted or slow growth? I used soil from one of those grow bricks (you add water to it and it expands) Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. :)
LilySue2

Re: Lilies in the fall care

Postby Pansy » Sep 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Lillysue...do not cut your lillies until the foliage has all turned yellow.

Your lavander needs soil,the brick you're talking about is
meant to be mixed with soil...to retain moisture,it does not have

enough nutrients to sustain plant life on it's own.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Smitty » Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am

I don't touch my lilies until spring..except ofcourse to cut off the just the seed pods. no need for seed. want them to put energy into preparing bulb for winter.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Sheikea » Sep 30, 2009 9:52 am

I can honestly say I have never had luck brining in potted Lavender.I hope you have better luck then me.I had it in windows with sunlight,then moderate light then no light.Let the dirt dry and then tried to keep it moist..Could not figure out what it wnted at all .Then there was also the bugs,ewwwy...So I wish you good luck with that and if you succeed please share your magic..Lol.. :D
Sheikea

Return to Plant Talk