Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Newb Gardener Winter Growing Questions!

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Newb Gardener Winter Growing Questions!

Postby Trix » Nov 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi guys, First of all I just want to sincerely thank you for any advice you can give. Regardless of my impressive googling skills, there are some things I still have questions about.

So , I really want to grow some stuff this winter. I was thinking lettuce since it is cold tolerant and we have a closed in porch that would likely be warm enough. Do you think lettuce could grow in temperatures as cold as a semi- insulated sun room would get in winter (In ontario)? Would a space heater nearby but not too close help?? I know its said lettuce is very cold hardy, but I don't know just how hardy that is!!!

We have only two real windows to grow under. One is a huge picture window. What could we successfully grow under there, supplementing light at night? (Also, what light do you recommend!?)

We want to grow some carrots, herbs, lettuce and tomatoes. Any other veggies that are good to grow indoors in winter?

We bought two big storage containers, and were going to put rocks at the bottom and fill the bottom up with local soil then bought soil at the top. Is this a bad idea? We were going to grow tomatoes or potatoes in them

Thanks so much, I can't wait to start gardening!!!
Trix

Re: Newb Gardener Winter Growing Questions!

Postby elizabeth24 » Nov 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Approx. what area do you live in? Do you know what your gardening zone is? For example, I am in zone 6a.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Re: Newb Gardener Winter Growing Questions!

Postby Eeyore » Nov 05, 2009 12:01 am

Wow! You are anxious if you want to do all that in the winter!
Firstly, how cool would you say your sun room would be?
Secondly, is the cost of additional electricity and heat going to outweigh your savings by growing your own veggies indoors?
I think if you have a Farmer's Market close by you could get fresh veggies each week, not that I'm trying to squash your enthusiasim, but I'm wondering how practical it would be. :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Indoor Plants