Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Light for indoor plants

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Light for indoor plants

Postby elizabeth24 » Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Since we are moving a lot of things in the house, I now have a south facing window to put my plants in front of . Problem is that we don't get much sun in that window in the fall and winter, in the summer we do though. We have a balcony after the south facing sliding glass doors., with a little roof, which is probably keeping us from getting the sun. Any ideas? I am trying to stay away from grow lights, that is just adding to the bills. What plants would survive in low light? I put a sweetheart philadendron there. Do you think it will survive? What about a spiderplant? I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Re: Light for indoor plants

Postby Eeyore » Nov 03, 2009 12:12 am

Most plants don't like bright, direct light so most of your houseplants will be fine in that window. Just turn them once a week or so to keep them even. :)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Nov 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Do you think so? I have to put a light on if I want to read a book in this light.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby Eeyore » Nov 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Oops! Sorry, I missed the part about the balcony. Diefenbaccia is a low light plant, surprisingly most tropicals are since they grow in the understory..... Do a google search for "low light plants". I found a few pages but since I don't know quite what you are looking for it would probably be best if you do the search.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Nov 03, 2009 6:24 pm

Thank you. :)

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby Jeannie » Nov 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Do visit a full-service nursery instead of a box store for plants. Until you are acquainted with the many types of the same, the nurseries can give valued info on a plant's care.
That said, there are a number of plants that might interest you and in many shapes and sizes.
Now about the balcony; if the door is used in any regular way, it can be a source of harm to any plant you put near it. Aside from what light might come thru, the opening of the door can cause drafts which are plants' mortal enemy.

Now about the light. There are ways to improve what light does come into a room.
The walls of the room, if light in color, can reflect back onto a plant giving it a slight increase in candle power. Raising it. Put a plant on a pedestal, a table, or hang it up near the door but without interfering with coming in or going out.
Hanging up a plant tho does bring up another possible problem.....its drainage.
Unless you use one of the self-contained drainage pots, its often necessary to bring the plant down, take it somewhre to be watered, and allowed full drainage.
Fortunately in winter, the watering of plants is not such a big deal since they require so little of it. Still, its something that has to be taken into account.
Fortunately there are a number of low-lite plants you might investigate. Look to its size and whether it would suit the place in the room.
Jeannie

Postby elizabeth24 » Nov 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Good points Jeannie, although we do not use our sliding glass door in the winter time. Thank you. Yes, I do buy my plants at a nursery. I find that buying them from a regular store never has worked for me, as I usually end up with a problem such as a diseased plant. I have had one exception, that is when our variety store was being renovated, and the owner was there every day. Naturally they bought the best plants to sell, so I bought a beautiful outdoor hanging planter which I have enjoyed all summer, and now am rooting some cuttings to plant inside. Since they were outside I kept them separate for a while incase of bugs, but they were none, and two are rooting nicely, so now I need to get some indoor potting soil. Have a good day.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Return to Indoor Plants