Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

growing orchids

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

growing orchids

Postby Smitty » Jan 26, 2010 10:42 am

my orchids are basically doing well. most are blooming or have set buds...3 out of 12 are doing nadda.
bow here's the question. albeit the orchids appear to be thriving and blooming nicely I have noticed some yellowing leaves..not many but enough to make me find fix fast. I normally just give them a dose of 10-10-10 when I water but wondering now. Saw a Shultz fertilizer 19-31-17 that they say is for orchids...should I upgrade fertilizer and if yes...how often would you give them the bigger boost? any other suggestion accepted with much appreciation and thanks.
yellowing leaves doesn't show up as well in a photo as it does here in the west bay window
orchid2.jpg

orchid1.jpg
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Re: growing orchids

Postby orchidguy » Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Smitty

It is natural for phalaenopsis to occasionally get a yellowing of leaves (especially before a growth spurt) I give mine an added boost of fertilizer starting mid May until mid Sept. Your pictures show healthy plants, and you are obviously doing something right with them. If a multitude of yellow leaves start to show on all plants in one area of your home, there might be a chance that they have gotten a cold draft from something also. Keep an eye on the roots that are overhanging the pot, they are an overall indicator of the health of the plant. If they start segmenting or falling off by rotting, then it is time to look at changing the potting medium. Hope this has helped ya Smitty
orchidguy

Postby Smitty » Jan 27, 2010 1:50 am

thanks Dan!
will copy this to my garden journal
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby agedgardener2 » Jan 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Smitty Your orchids look healthy.I have had much better success since I bought a humidifier.The roots get their nutrition from the air so I let all the roots hang out JOY
Attachments
My Vanda.jpg
My Vanda
Dec 4 orchids 09.jpg
Orchid on dec,4
agedgardener2

Postby Smitty » Jan 28, 2010 2:16 am

oh yours are beautiful Joy!!! thanks for the info...I mist them lots in the winter because the gas heat makes it dry in here but thinking a humidifier certainly couldn't hurt.
Smitty

Postby agedgardener2 » Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

Smitty I also get a product from the states when I can.It's called Messenger and it stimulates the plant to bloom and grow .It is good for other plants too.JOY
agedgardener2

Return to Indoor Plants