Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Ornamental Trees in containers

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Ornamental Trees in containers

Postby video_gal » Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi
Looking for suggestions for ornamental trees that I can grow in containers. Would prefer low-maintenance but sculptural if there is such a thing. Would boxwood topiaries be a good idea? Or is it possible to grow an apple or cherry tree in a container? Thanks
video_gal

Re: Ornamental Trees in containers

Postby Laura » Feb 21, 2010 8:40 am

Welcome to the forum VideoGal.

Do you know what zone you are in ? ...this would certainly help with an answer to your question.

I think a boxwood could be grown in a container but not sure about a fruit tree,maybe if you kept it trimmed it would do okay but it would take some extra care to do it.

I am no expert on trees but maybe someone else will give you some tips.
Laura

Postby VictorianNoire » Feb 24, 2010 4:33 pm

its true that knowing your zone would be better...but box is a very hardy little shrub, so shouold be okay. if you are thinking about fruit trees, you can grow them in containers as long as you are willing to change their containers up to a larger size as they get older, though you can also do root trimmings to keep them small....though you may not get as much fruit that way....

do you want something flowering? what kind of sun do you get? there are lots of good shrubs and trees that can grow in containers, its just a matter of knowing what you want :)
VictorianNoire

Postby video_gal » Mar 07, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks for the responses. I live in Zone 5 (Greater Toronto Area)? Back of house is west facing so relatively sunny from noon to evening. I don't neccessarily want fruit, I just enjoy the blooms. I would prefer to have something with a thin trunk and volume on top which is why I was thinking of a fruit tree.
video_gal

Postby Eeyore » Mar 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Try one of the non fruiting plums or cherries. There are some sterile ones that will give you flowers and no fruit. :)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 07, 2010 11:54 pm

here on the island we have 'indian plum that gets really dainty beautiful flowers and berries that attract tons of birds...you may want to look into something like that as well maybe...?

http://www.consultyou.net/meadowhawkfar ... um3-17.jpg
VictorianNoire

Return to Container Gardening