Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Wilting China Doll

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Wilting China Doll

Postby VictorianNoire » Feb 16, 2010 12:36 am

Hey all!

I was given a china doll by my mother in law who is trying to get rid of some of her houseplants. It seemed to be in alright condition at her house, but about a week after it was brought here it started to wilt...i had it in the window that gets the most light (we live in a basement apartment) and i am watering it moderately due to the winter season...i just dont know whats wrong with it. we did have it over the radiator, but we dont keep the heat very high...i moved it about 3 days ago to a spot away from the rad (and window unfortunately) and it hasnt perked up in the slightest....any suggestions?
VictorianNoire

Re: Wilting China Doll

Postby Eeyore » Feb 16, 2010 1:05 pm

It could be in shock from the move. Refer to the attached for growing conditions.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/popluar ... sinica.htm
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Feb 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Just curious VN, does the window you had set the plant in have a draft. I have noticed that the radermachera wilts when a cold draft is present. This has happened to me before, and ended up losing most of the leaves. They did return, healthier than ever in about a 3 week period
orchidguy

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm

No draft to my knowledge...its a fairly new house that we live in...the only thing i was concerned about was the fact it was over the radiator and might be wilting from the heat...now the philodendron that i have plants with it is starting to get all wilty too....i have no idea whats going on here! those things are impossible to kill!
VictorianNoire

Postby orchidguy » Mar 01, 2010 5:34 pm

You're absolutely right, philodendrons are one of the easiest plants to grow, so this is a stumper.
Are they maybe over watered? Is there any rotting at all on the plant?
Does the soil surface have a white fungi on it?
Are you on city water and extra chlorine was put through to cleanse city pipelines?
Are they overfed. If they had too much fertilizer, the roots start to rot.
I dont know, sorry I couldnt be much help to you
BTW, is the china doll still wilting? or has it bounced back?
orchidguy

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Well I am letting soil dry out quite a bit between watering, and usually watering about 7-10 days apart. no molding on the soil or anything like that. the china doll is doing a bit better. i trimmed it back pretty hard where it needed and its getting new leaves, but still doesnt look great. at this point i just have my fingers crossed!
VictorianNoire

Return to Indoor Plants