Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Plastic liner for raised beds

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Plastic liner for raised beds

Postby EarlW » Mar 16, 2010 9:47 am

I am putting in a couple of raised beds with concrete slabs (concrete patio blocks) for the sides. I want to line the beds with plastic to prevent leaching of concrete into soil/compost. Is it safe to use regular plastic? I don't want to get anything into my vegetables that shouldn't be there.
EarlW

Re: Plastic liner for raised beds

Postby Eeyore » Mar 16, 2010 10:04 am

The amount of leaching you'll get from the concrete blocks will be minimal. unless you plan to raise acid loving plants I don't see a point to lining the bed with plastic. Plastic can also leach toxins into you soil.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Mar 16, 2010 10:06 am

Manufactured concrete products contain nothing that would be detrimental to garden soil . . . or that would contaminate vegetables. Portland cement is perfectly safe in the environment. In fact, I would be more worried abt something leaching from a polyethylene liner. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby orchidguy » Mar 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Earl

Both Lyn and Frank are right, the concrete will have no adverse affect upon your soil, unless you are trying to maintain an acidic soil base. If you still want to line your raised bed, the only thing I would suggest is pond liner. Other than conserving on the water usage, there really is no need to line a raised bed.
orchidguy

Postby EarlW » Mar 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks for the information.
EarlW

Return to Container Gardening