Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

tropical Hibiscus leaves drying up, help

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

tropical Hibiscus leaves drying up, help

Postby isabelbrinck » Jan 27, 2010 1:46 pm

The leaves of my Candy Wind tropical hibiscus have been drying up from the tips for several weeks. This happened after I repotted it with fresh, pre-packaged tropical soil in a slightly larger pot. It hasn't bloomed in ages (that's part of why I repotted it, thinking the old soil was barren) and it's quite a few years old (4 or 5).

The plant is watered regularly, but not overwatered. It's close to the sunniest window in my apartment, which is Northwest facing. It's about a metre away from the window.

Any ideas? Should I stick some fertilizers in the ground or wait until the problem is resolved?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4309727714_49c39740e3_m.jpg
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Re: tropical Hibiscus leaves drying up, help

Postby Eeyore » Jan 29, 2010 12:30 pm

I would wait and see if the problem resolves. It may be suffering from transplant shock.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby thistlemaid » Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am

My husband and I were very surprised when we got those blown glass watering bulbs for our philodendrons! We thought we were watering it amply..... but once we filled the water bulbs and inserted them.. WOW!

We had NO IDEA how much water those plants were wanting until we were able to SEE the bulbs constantly empty! I a way, they allow the plants to demonstrate how much water they need!

I recently read that the average Canadian home is drier in the winter than the average humidity of the Sahara Desert - largely due to forced air heating. The article recommended setting a houseplant in a tray of gravel that is constantly half full of water. Presumable you don't want the water to touch the pot - you are just creating a zone of high humidity around the plant - like an invisible cloud of water vapour.

I hope your plant does better!

:)
AVT
thistlemaid

Postby isabelbrinck » Feb 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Unfortunately, she's not doing any better. It's looking terminal. The move indoors and the repotting was months ago. The soil is moist to the touch. In fact, I've thought that maybe it's too much water. I just don't know anymore. :cry:
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby Alana » Mar 25, 2010 8:53 am

hibiscus do not like to be in bigger pots how much bigger did you go?
Alana

Return to Container Gardening