Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

moss in gardens

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

moss in gardens

Postby audrey » Mar 25, 2010 11:26 am

I have a lot of moss growing in my flower beds this spring. When is the best time to put lime on (if that's what I do) and do I just spread it or dig it in? I want to get an early start on it if possible.
audrey

Re: moss in gardens

Postby roxannet » Mar 26, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Audrey,
You can put lime on lawns and flower beds anytime. I usually work it into the soil in my flower beds a few times a year. I avoid giving lime to acidic loving plants such as rhododendrons, azeleas, heaths and heathers, etc. Lime takes a while to work so what you put down now will start working a few months from now.
Roxanne
roxannet

Postby audrey » Mar 26, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks Roxanne, I must get out to the garden center soon, and get started. I guess it would be a good idea to rake the moss out first, huh?
audrey

Postby Eeyore » Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am

Moss is quite easy to pull up so yes, I would pull or rake up what you can first and then put the lime down. I had no idea that lime killed moss......
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby roxannet » Mar 26, 2010 1:02 pm

I don't think lime actually kills moss but what it does is neutralizes the soil so it becomes more alkaline therefore preventing moss from growing back. Moss likes to grow in acidic soil.
Roxanne
roxannet

Return to Plant Talk