Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

I need help with my plants.

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

I need help with my plants.

Postby Emey » Mar 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi, I got married last year and finally decided to get some new plants for our apartment.
Our apartment faces north, (I believe) so I don’t really get much light in here. We are moving to a new apartment in a few weeks and it will face west. I really need help and advice with my plants.

The plant I got for decoration is getting these weird green, orange balls. I don’t know what they are. I don’t want my plant to die. The Mums my husband got me for valentines already died. :(

I also started an herb garden last month. I bought some seedlings from the garden shop, I got silver Thyme and Italian parsley, they both died on me already. At the same time I got some seeds and planted them myself; basil and cilantro. They where looking great until last week. I don’t know what to do. They are getting these white looking rocks on the top of the soil. Is that bad? If so what can I do to help them?

Emey
Emey

Re: I need help with my plants.

Postby Eeyore » Mar 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi Emey;

The little green and orange balls on top of the soil are fertilizer pellets that have been added to the soil. No worries about those. The little white rocks are vermiculite that has been added to the soil to aid aeration.

It looks as though you are overwatering your plants. The soil should be allowed to dry down before you water again. I don't have any luck with Mums either, they always die on me.

The seedlings need to be kept damp but not soaking wet. They can be very finicky. When they are as small as they are in your photos give them a little bit of water every day. just enough to wet the soil right around the plants. The roots are not deep so they don't need a lot.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Emey » Mar 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey Lyn,

Thanks so much for your fast answer. It makes me feel better to hear that they don’t have bad stuff growing on them. I’m really a newbie when it comes to plants. Hopefully I will get better.

About the watering I started doing it once a week; I guess that isn’t good for them either. i just got a spray bottle, will this actually work ?
Emey

Postby Eeyore » Mar 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Once a week is fine as long as the soil has dried down. If you are not sure buy one of those watering meters with the copper stem and a guage that tells you how dry your plants are. They really do work!
A spray bottle is ideal for the seedlings.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Emey » Mar 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Again thank you for the advice. I will get one of those meters on my next trip to the store and probably buy the water globes too.LOL

Emey
Emey

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 04, 2010 5:53 pm

i agree on the overwatering. in the winter time plants are dormant or slow down their growth, even if they are inside and require less water.

and if the little herb guys are getting too sad looking you can always cover them with a plastic bag and mist them to create a little humidifier and then once they perk up a bit you can remove the bag and they should grow happily!

good luck!
VictorianNoire

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 07, 2010 4:12 am

Hmm, I suspect that besides overwatering, that you don't have enough light for the plants you are attempting to grow and that the environment may be too hot / dry. Chrysanthemums, most herbs, and a great many other plants like lots of light, moist but free-draining soil, and cool moist conditions. Many pot plants are from temperate regions, meaning that a forced air heated house (specially with a northeastern facing window) simply isn't an environment they can survive in.

An easy way to tell if the plants need watering is to actually touch the soil to see how moist it is... even better, you can stick your finger a half inch or so into the soil to see what it's like underneath. Then, look at the surface and note the color, and lift the pot and note the weight. Soon enough, you'll be able to tell if the plant needs water by how the soil looks and the plant feels when you lift it.

If your plants aren't getting enough light, you'll know... your seedlings will get long and floppy and will not do well at all.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby audrey » Apr 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Maybe this question has been posted before but I didnt see it so will ask again!! What can I do to make a Christmas cactus blossom? I've had it for years and nary a bloom. When I got it there was gorgeous dark red blooms on it, It grows and is healthy but wont bloom. I have fertilized it, changed it from where it was to a window with lots of light and some sun. Help!
audrey

Postby CFRASER7 » Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi,

This is not related to your question, but about your first plant. My Mom has the exact same plant and we have wondered what it is for a few years now.

Thanks,
Christine
If you have time to read, you have time to weed
CFRASER7

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Christmas or Thanksgiving Cactus (Schlumbergera or Zygocactus spp. and hybrids) generally need a cool rest in fall and early winter, but more importantly are SHORT DAY plants that set buds when the nights are cool and the days are short. Are they in a room where there are artificial light sources when it's dark outside? That's likely the source of your problem, as a plant that gets only natural light should bloom around mid November whether or not it got the cool nights and if it has been growing well. A 40W light bulb left on in the same room is enough to prevent blooming... useful for pushing blooming back a few weeks though, if you want blooms at Christmas 8)

The plant in the first picture is a Croton (a nice one too, it's not easy getting them to keep their leaves to the base of the plant).
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Next

Return to Indoor Plants