Feedback - Gardening Forums

How about a 'Garden Journal' forum?

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

How about a 'Garden Journal' forum?

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Hey, I was just thinking that I'd like to 'journal' my garden as it grows, keep track of and share the happenings in my garden with the gardening community but there isn't an appropriate forum for such things... I suppose the 'Garden Gallery' may work, but I feel that's more expressly for images of specific things rather than random photos of and talk about a full garden.

I was just thinking that it would be easier that way, and things could be more easily kept track of. Otherwise I will probably have a great number of disparate photo and discussion threads going through the summer and it may become... overwhelming :lol:
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Re: How about a 'Garden Journal' forum?

Postby MareE » Apr 11, 2010 7:54 am

Hey Calvin! First thought was that there are too many rooms as it is for gardeners to choose from! But that's just me who woefully doesn't have as much time to post and comment as once did and know that expansion from original one-room forum was absolutely necessary. laff Second thought was you won't be the first to overwhelm joyfully & knowledgeably so you're in good company in CG. Know what you mean tho' and think it's a great idea for sharing our gardens' progress by writing about trials and tribulations, successes and flops, etc from sowing to harvest, vase-ing, first Frost, whatever.

Last year, later in season, I posted a sort of "blogette" of new veggie patch, updating every once in a while in same Fruit and Vegetables thread (for continuity). Perhaps you could start a Garden Gallery "journal" and another in FnV? Oh, and you might need Container Gardening and Projects journals as well, eh? And season every gardening room with gorgeous rogue photos of course! :D

Just ruminating out loud and off the cuff. Certainly would say AYE! to addition of 'Garden Journal' room. It'd be my first or second read of the day, such a place.

MareE chronic journal scribbler & continuity freak ;o}

Couldn't hurt to post a poll to test the waters...?
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Hey MarE! Well, it was just a random thought. I sort of like to keep things organized, and managing a number of threads in different forums can get... tedious at times :) I would sort of like to have a thread that is a general overview of the entire garden, performance of plants in different microclimes in the yard, etc. I see a number of beautiful images in the Garden Gallery, but it's hard to get a feel for the space that they belong to... you know, put things in context.

Of course, that will make for a very long thread since this forum doesn't allow you to set how long you want your pages to be. I generally set mine (in the other forum sites I belong to) to around 50 posts, so I don't have to keep clicking to read further.

And on that note, a poll is a good idea but the forum doesn't allow you to add polls after the thread has already been created. Maybe we'll make another thread after we hear some more opinions?
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Eeyore » Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm

You could start a blog. That's what I've done.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Apr 13, 2010 9:18 am

so tell me Calvin....do you have stickies all over your puter ?? do you have journals dating back many, many years with all the dates things are planted and how they grew?? are you of the mind that the gardening for the day is not complete til written in the journal? can you work a scanner faster than I can take a pic with my digi??
Smitty.....just curious 8) and thinking I would love a journal room too...not that I ever write in one but would love to read about others and look at the pics too.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 16, 2010 2:39 am

Actually Smitty I don't. :lol: You'd almost think I do (though this year I've been keeping track of seedling and early planted tender bulbs in a MS Works file), but I don't and therefore can't really track my past progress. I've gotten relatively good at what I do, BUT I don't have any way of knowing exactly how I do it which is sort of where the idea came from...

A blog is a great idea but it necessarily limits the amount of input that others have on a given subject. I sort of like being able to make stuff chronologically ordered and all in once place... I can actually see an opportunity for a site like that, hmm....

Once the yard reno's start I'll be taking mega pictures of everything all the time, including growth pics and whatnot. I want to have a visual and written record of things that work and things that don't, and actually be able to show why they were successful (and why they failed). Specially considering my rather ambitious plans this year. A blog may be in order, but since I'm lazy I'll probably just be making posts here to share.

The garden will aim for a tropical feel but will technically be a potager (mix of ornamental and edible plants) made up of tender and hardy species, so I feel the need to document everything, including my test of Philodendrons as bedding plants.
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Eeyore » Apr 16, 2010 10:23 am

If you start a site like that I'll be in like Flynn! I'm horrible at writing things down but I will use the 'puter to track things.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Feedback