Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Help! Can i save this plant?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Help! Can i save this plant?

Postby benb54 » Apr 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Hello all, im new here and i was wondering if there is a way i can save my plant (see pics) I should have repotted it a long time ago and yes its a shame but this large sprout at the bottom grew over the winter. Im now thinking i could just save that sprout and grow a new plant altogether. Is this recommended? What would i need to do in this case? Thanks for you help in advance! Ben B
benb54

Re: Help! Can i save this plant?

Postby benb54 » Apr 27, 2010 10:27 am

It seems that one of the branches is now sagging because it is not getting enough water, its actually dried out in the middle of the branch. Any suggestions would help, i want to see this guy survive even if i have to sacrifice the main body of the plant. Thanks!
benb54

Postby Countryboy » Apr 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

I don't see why u couldn't save that tree. It looks pretty healthy really. It may indeed be time to start it all over again . . get a small saw, take down the main trunk(s), and leave just the sprouts growing out of the soil at the roots. Always a good idea to get rid of wood that's not alive.

Or pull the roots apart and re-plant the sprouts. :)

Best of luck! 8)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby benb54 » Apr 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks for the advice CountryBoy, so i ended up doing what you said; i cut the trunks and now i have two babies to start all over again. It just seemed to be growing too tall even for my apartment and i figure this will at least keep it alive. BTW do you know what kind of plant this is? I totally forget what the tag said when i bought it. Cheers
benb54

Postby skwij » Apr 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I believe you could also plant the "tops" of this and they will re-root.
skwij

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 28, 2010 1:19 am

You really should consider repotting or at least top dressing the soil in the pot before the minerals and whatnot starts to effect the plant's roots. The plant is Dracaena fragrans, and looks like the plain green form, though it's entirely possible that it was variegated at one point and just isn't getting enough light to support the variegation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_fragrans
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby benb54 » Apr 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks guys, ya i saved the tops and im going to replant them because they seemed to be healthy besides the one that fell over and i got rid of. It just snowed here (montreal) again so as soon as its nice enough il repot all of them on my deck outside. Looks like this plant will live on. Are there any recommendations on how i should care for these, like mineral supplements or whatever? Id prefer au natural because i dont want to buy expensive chemically processed stuff at all. Thanks folks!
benb54

Postby Eeyore » Apr 28, 2010 10:25 pm

These plants are pretty hardy but a regular houseplant fertilizer once a month would be adequate.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby benb54 » Apr 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Ive had the plant 6 years and it never had yellow stripes on the leaves. I just repotted the sprouts and im wondering if the large stalk with the leaves would grow again in soil even if there are no roots now? Is that possible? Or would i have to cut the very tops off and replant them in order for them to grow? I put the stalk in a new pot and soil to see but maybe thats not the thing to do. Thanks again.
benb54

Postby ViridianFields » May 03, 2010 1:18 am

Well, you could do any of the above. You could even lay the woody trunk sideways in a trough and cover it with an inch of soil, and it would (eventually) produce a number of new plants along the length of the trunk.

It's also possible that your plant isn't a Dracaena at all and is actually a Yucca, they are both commonly sold in this form (a cut trunk, potted), which would explain the lack of variegation. Both very good, tough houseplants either way.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Return to Indoor Plants