Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Growing Wooly Thyme Cuttings

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Growing Wooly Thyme Cuttings

Postby CFRASER7 » May 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi there,

I have had no luck searching for wooly thyme at greenhouses near me, and so I am wondering if I can take cuttings off wooly thyme plants that I already have and grow them big enough that I can transplant them before the end of the summer. I am pretty sure that wooly thyme is only propagated by cuttings, and not seeds, so I think it will work. Has anyone tried this before? Or even with other thyme plants?

Thanks,
-Christine
If you have time to read, you have time to weed
CFRASER7

Re: Growing Wooly Thyme Cuttings

Postby orchidguy » May 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Christine

Your wooly thyme can be started from cuttings (better with new growth) or by the method I use, which is taking root cuttings and inserting them in situ where you want your new thyme plants to grow. I've started them from seed, but it took a long time to find a retailer who sold them, and then a very long time for them to grow, really not worth it in my opinion, better to just take the cuttings.
Hope this has been some help to you......good luck
orchidguy

Re: Growing Wooly Thyme Cuttings

Postby CFRASER7 » May 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I think that that is what I will do, I'll just take some cuttings, I have some stimu so they should grow!

Thanks again,
-Christine
If you have time to read, you have time to weed
CFRASER7

Return to Plant Talk