Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Meet 504 and A15!!!!!!!!!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Meet 504 and A15!!!!!!!!!

Postby joan w » May 04, 2010 11:54 am

They are such majestic birds and glad you caught them on camera. We have a group that travel along the shores of Lake Ontario and it's suh a thrill to see them.
Image Image
joan w

Postby bluewillow » May 04, 2010 12:00 pm

What a great sighting Kelly! Beautiful captures too. A regal bird indeed.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby kelly_m » May 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks BW and Joan....they sure are nice to see!

Lyn...perhaps its for us lay people who know almost nothing about them!!LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby bluebird » May 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Eeyore wrote:Wow! They sure are, I guess that's so the biologists don't have to get that close to read them.

And so hunter's can hesitate and think twice and not shoot them. I know..hard to believe anyone could point a trigger at these gorgeous creatures. :shock:
bluebird

Postby MareE » May 05, 2010 9:44 am

It sure is, Cars. :evil: That's the kinda tag I need for veggies and fleurs coulda sworn I sowed but don't remember what or when. LAFF

I, too, expected the intersection of two highways, not those gorgeous critters of the Wye Marsh, K! Far out! ;o}

HAHA Mutrump©kelly is on the waiting list!
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Posting for Kelly who still can't get on forums...

Postby MareE » May 14, 2010 9:54 am

OOOOO I just got a call from a Mr. Harry Lumsden....OFO Award winner, pioneer in ornithological research, biologist, research scientist, Member of the Order of Canada...........(holy!) Has been head research dude for the Trumpeter Swan program at the Wye Marsh.

See I had reported my sighting of TRSW's A15 and 504.....504 is the male and A15 Female. (both have been re-tagged over the last 10+ years.

504 showed up as about a 3 year old, and A15 was born in captivity (1998) and then released. Giving you the short story (as opposed to Mr. Lumsdens version!LOL) the two appear to be mates, winter in the South (Hogg's Bay, Burlington!) and have successfully bred an average of 4 cygnets per year since @ 2001 except for one year when A15 was spotted with 8 Cygnets. It appears they breed at Tiny Marsh, although they frequent the Wye Marsh as well (gotta see the in-laws y'know!!!)

Anyways...I was quite pleased to get a phone call thanking me and a history of the lovely couple!!!!
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby bluebird » May 14, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for posting K's exciting update Marsbar! Hope you can get back on soon Kelly!
bluebird

Postby kristadawson22 » Jan 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi Kelly,

I know it has been a while sine you've posted, but I thought I would let you know that today outside my home in Wasaga Beach, we saw swan A15 outside!! We live on the river and this time she was incredibly clean! In the 33 years my parents have lived here, we have only seen a trumpeter on two other occasions. This time she was alone but looked very healthy and inquisitive.

Nice to see she is still swimming the rivers around the area! I wonder where 504 is?

Krista
kristadawson22

Postby kelly_m » Jan 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Krista! Wow! That is awesome to hear!!!

Are you right on the Nottawasaga River?? We were going over the river at Klondike Park when my daughter said she saw one....we were on our way to hockey so i didn't get a chance to stop and look! LOL

That is awesome to hear that she is still in the area and making use of other water systems!!!

BTW....due to login issues I had to change my moniker to kelly_m...it was odd to see my original name pop up!!LOL

Thanks for letting me know!

K

PS...I am assuming you did a google search and this forum popped up???
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence