Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Plant ID Please

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Plant ID Please

Postby Prairie Pen » May 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Found this growing beside a marker "Spumanti Blush" Osteospermum. I know that is not what it is so can someone please help me.[
Attachments
Spring 2010 006.JPG
Retirement means a full time commitment to gardening.
Prairie Pen

Re: Plant ID Please

Postby Eeyore » May 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Do the leaves feel fuzzy? It almost looks like Petunia.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Prairie Pen » May 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Yes the leaves are fuzzy. I just didn't think petunias would self seed in Sask. I have quite a few of them.

Thanks
Prairie Pen

Postby Prairie Pen » May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Could this be calendula?
Prairie Pen

Postby Venice » May 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Hmm I'd think a petunia that size would be blooming already.but it does look similar.

Ven
Venice

Postby Grannygardener » May 22, 2010 9:20 am

I have clumps of Devil's Paint Brush that look very much like that.Black -eyed susan also looks similar. Keep an eye on it, hopefully it's a nice surprise. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby ViridianFields » May 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Doubt its a petunia (for sure not reseeding in SK). Does look like a number of different plants mentioned though, particularly the Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan). Might be something interesting though, can't wait till it blooms!
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby earwig » May 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Looks to me a lot like the foliage of a blanket flower (gaillardia). they do self seed as well as come back - some years.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby schmeeges » Jan 19, 2014 1:50 pm

I didn't think petunias would reseed in Saskatchewan either BUT they do! I have a flower bed that gets sun from east and south and all I have ever planted in it is petunias. Every year I plant my store bought petunias there and every year I get more and more volunteer ones - so much that the ground is literally covered in them. First year I pulled most out thinking they were weeds. Mind you they don't get big and bushy, stay quite small, but flower just as the bought ones do. Even had some grow in the lawn and bloom! Love them because I now have every shade of pink, purple, white to blue. Never plant red in this bed because it is my "pink" bed. Even had 3 "black" ones this past summer. I deadhead every second day and throw the dead blooms under the plants so I think this is how they reseed. I live in so-called zone 2 but have many plants that are classified as zone 5.
schmeeges

Return to Plant Talk