Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Sleep Apnea Testing - Update

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Sleep Apnea Testing.

Postby Grannygardener » May 22, 2010 10:17 am

Briefly, what was explained to us about sleep apnea was that when a person stops breathing , at some point the brain say's " I need oxygen" and the brain kicks in and wakens you. Often. the person starts to snort and breath and their arms and legs flail about . This was the hard part about sleeping with someone that you know has stopped breathing, do you wait till they start to breath on their own or do you poke them. You risk getting hit one way or the other.There are many other sleep issues like restless leg syndrome that are another step above apnea and often are more difficult to treat. There is so much information out there now that they have recognized that it truly is a problem.Most of it through the sleep clinics.
BB, would it be possible for your husband to have a sleep sensor similar to what they use for babies who stop breathing in their sleep. I can't imagine that there isn't something that they couldn't devise for him. Like. when do you sleep? Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » May 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Joan, that's something I didn't know about RLS. Thanks for the info. I hope your visit to the doctor prods him into doing another sleep study. There is soooo much that can disrupt sleep and it's amazing how it can affect your body and mind too.

I'll keep you posted on my journey and BB, I'd keep looking for something for Eric. New developments all the time and what was status quo a year ago may not be the case any more.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » May 22, 2010 4:45 pm

I was tested for that too but I am ok

I have no idea if I snore cause there is no one to tell me

But I don't think so cause I wake in the am exactally in the same place I fall alseep with my glases still on and th remote sstill in my hand and TV on and still laying on my back just as I fell alseep

Making my bed is easy. it is never messed up. . All you can see is a hole where I crawled in and out.

lol,lol
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby bluewillow » May 23, 2010 10:10 am

Lyn, with my sleep clinic testing .... the glue they use for the *wires* is more like *super glue* .... difficult to remove from the scalp.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Re: Sleep Apnea Testing

Postby Eeyore » Jun 07, 2010 6:08 pm

The test results came back as Moderate Sleep Apnea with 22 - 23 episodes of either not breathing or shallow breathing per hour. Oxygen levels fell to 86% for about 0.5% of the night.
Next step is a 7 day AutoPAP Titration test but since I am going away for 3 weeks I'll do that when I get back.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Sleep Apnea Testing - Update

Postby bluewillow » Jun 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Good to hear you are making headway.

Happy holidays Lyn!

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Katherine » Jun 08, 2010 12:33 am

Well I dont know if the oxegen loss is significant or not, as I am no big expert on this, but to have that much disruption in sleep must be hard to deal with. Does the test effect your sleep, and if so how do you know what is real risk and what is test related risk?

One thing i do know is that if you have sleep apnea, they make sure you have a breathing monitoring machine on you following major surgery, such as hip replacement, which can cause delays to the surgery as the machines are few and far between, in BC anyway.

Anyway I hope you have a GREAT holiday. Maybe getting away from stressful work and etc will help??? Best of hols Lyn.

kat
Katherine

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jun 08, 2010 7:56 am

So glad you started this topic, Lyn. I've been the same as you....frequent wakings, tired all the day long, and know I have RLS too. But waking up gasping for air is the scariest. I will call my doc today and ask about sleep testing for Apnea.

but one thing which has helped my RLS is liquid cal/mag supplement. I drink one cap per night before bedtime, and my legs remain calm. Seems like a miracle! The liquid is faster to absorb than capsules. The taste is pleasant too.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Eeyore » Jun 08, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks BW!

Kat - The wires and stuff did disrupt my sleep. I woke up about every hour. They really like a 4 hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep but since I hardly ever sleep 4 hours at a stretch but there was enough information recorded and from the questionnaire over all that the pulmanologist was able to make an assessment. If there hadn't been enough I would have redone the test. The one I did was the simple version that tests only for OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea). I brought the machine home and hooked it up before I went to sleep. If anything I would say that the results were actually an underestimate. The lack of oxygen can cause a lot of health problems over time, everything from migraine headaches and depression to a higher risk of heart attack. The lack of energy also leads to a vicious cycle of not eating properly, not getting enough exercise and obesity.....

TB - If you read above you'll see that the test for OAS is quite easy to do at home. I do believe it's covered in Ontario, you would have to verify that. It isn't covered by Alberta Health Care, so it's an out of pocket expense ($150) that I didn't mind paying to confirm what I already knew and to deal with it. Yes, gasping for breath is not fun and people with sleep apnea cannot take melatonin as it depresses the breathing response even further. I tried someting called "Sleep Eaze" or something of that nature for a few days last year and it was quite scary!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Jun 09, 2010 9:00 am

I suffered from insomnia most of my life. Right now, I seem to be able to sleep most of the night but I still I wake up a lot. The difference now is that I can actually get back to sleep whereas even as a small child I would be awake for hours at a time. I have a very strong memory of being in my CRIB awake and biding my time. And being in the bottom bunk counting the holes in the board above my head. I was only in a bunk bed from about the age of 4 to 7. What you just wrote Lyn explains a lot. I used a drug called Imovane (Zopiclone) for about 25 years, in low doses, and that helped a lot. I have managed to not use it since I started back to work in the field this year. Basically I get enough exercise in a day that I sleep soundly. But its been a struggle. I dont wake up starved for breath very often, but it has happened a few times and its really alarming. I start dreaming that I am being smothered, or drowning, then I wake up gasping. But I can count on one hand when that has happened. Mostly I just wake up.

kat
Katherine

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence