Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

dying houseplants....

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

dying houseplants....

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 25, 2010 12:41 pm

okay i have posted on here about my wilting guy, but it is continuing to do so, along with the philodrendron that is in the same pot...and now my yucca is getting all weird now too....the majority of the plants in my house do beautifully and i cant figure this out! i posted some pics so hopefully it can give you guys a better idea, but i am stumped!!!!!
DSC00683.JPG
wilted phil :(
Attachments
DSC00685.JPG
yucca leaf that is losing colour.....
DSC00684.JPG
wilted china doll (or what i assume to be a china doll)
VictorianNoire

Re: dying houseplants....

Postby Eeyore » Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

It looks like you've got some mildew happening. Are all of these in the same pot or planted in soil from the same batch?
If they were my plants I would chuck them dirt and all, sterilize the pots and replace them. Unless you are really attached to them, they really don't look good.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 26, 2010 12:44 pm

see thats what i thought too. they have gone through cycles of good health but have been on a downward trend lately. they are a gift from my mother in law so it wouldnt be too much of a loss but i hate the thought of killing plants!

the philodendron and the china doll are in the same pot, but the yucca is totally separate. i am very attached to the yucca as it is our permanent christmas tree...is that one just a matter of fertilizer and water do you think?
VictorianNoire

Postby Eeyore » Mar 29, 2010 10:13 am

What percentage of the yucca is affected? Is it just the bottom leaves? If so, I would try removing the bottom leaves and then wiping it down with some clean water. If you suspect there are any kind of bugs spray gently with insecticidal soap, top and bottom of the leaves, after 15 minutes rinse with clear water and wipe the leaves. Then plant in a clean pot with clean soil. Then keep it away from your other plants just in case there is some type of fungus or bugs on the other plants. Water and fetrtilize lightly. Yucca's can survive in dry soil so don't over water.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby VictorianNoire » Mar 31, 2010 10:21 am

well i asked some of the ladies at my work and they said it might also be a problem with a lack of iron (they called him anemic which was cute) so i got some fertilizer with high iron/nitrogen and hopefully it will help...but i will certainly re-pot him and all that and thanks for the advice. i really love that plant.

what causes indoor plants to mildew?
VictorianNoire

Postby Eeyore » Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am

I think you said you'd moved recently, is that right? The move may have had an effect. Some plants are very susceptible to climate changes.

Humidty can cause mildew, your soil could have been contaminated, if you introduced a new plant into the house something could come in with it.....

I was thinking about your china doll and Tradescantia. If the roots have not rotted it is possible to cut back the china doll, repot into clean soil and possibly save it that way. With the other plant you could take a cutting from a healthy portion of the plant and start it in water.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby sherry177 » Jun 01, 2010 7:54 am

A houseplant is a plant that is grown indoors in places such as residences and offices. Houseplants are commonly grown for decorative purposes and health reasons such as indoor air purification. Plants used in this fashion are most commonly, though not always, tropical or semi-tropical. Major factors that should be considered when caring for houseplants are moisture, light, soil mixture, temperature, humidity, fertilizers, potting, and pest control. The following includes some general guidelines for houseplant care. For specific houseplant needs, the tags that sometimes come with plants are notoriously unhelpful and generic. Specific care information may be found widely online and in books.

Edited to remove unrelated link.
sherry177

Postby zorric » Jun 15, 2010 12:17 pm

I would check them carefully for any type of bug. There are little mites that can sometimes kill off houseplants. Also a white fly that is very tiny. You will mostly only really notice this when you water a plant that has dried out. If you watch closely you will see them moving on the surface of the ground.
If you can find no signs at all of pests, and you are not over watering them-most plants like to dry out a bit before watering then you may be feeding them too much. Most plants need a rest period in winter so they need less water and very little food.
If you live in the city, you might want to let your water stand over night before using it on them.
They also could need fresh soil. You could try removing them from their pots and cleaning out as much as the old soil as possible and then potting them with fresh. This will also help if you have been over watering or over feeding them.

Postby ViridianFields » Jun 16, 2010 12:44 am

Hmm, something zorric said about water strikes a chord... have you been watering with cold water? Most tropicals won't tolerate cold water.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Return to Indoor Plants