Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Variegated rubber plant help

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Variegated rubber plant help

Postby chinabeach » Jun 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Good afternoon all
I have a variegated rubber plant that is infected with spider mites. Had to cut nearly all the leaves because of damage. Have been spraying it with liquid for dishes and water which is getting rid of them but if I cut it back totally will it start to grow back. It is looking sad right now with leaves only at the top of plant and bare bodies. Would appreciate any help.
Thank you Chinabeach :cry:
chinabeach

Re: Variegated rubber plant help

Postby Eeyore » Jun 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I don't know if it will grow back but you could start another one from cuttings. You can either cut and root the top or air layer it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby chinabeach » Jun 28, 2010 11:11 am

Thank you for the reply and would I put it in water to root if I were to cut the top or do I put it directly in soil.
Once again thank you
Chinabeach
chinabeach

Postby orchidguy » Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Chinabeach

Your rubber plant (ficus elastica) can produce new shoots from an existing stalk, but it takes its time to do so.
Unfortunately, they do not start easily with cuttings, as they rot very easily, so I wouldnt use water as a rooting medium if I were you. When you take a cutting, let it sit out for about 6-8 hours until its sap creates a seal at the bottom of the cutting. Use a potting mix, in a new pot and dampen the soil so it is moist, not wet. Insert cutting and place into a humid area. In my opinion, when you take a cutting and place it into a plastic bag to retain the moisture, the plant usually rots, but you can try doing that if you want. It might work. If you notice condensation forming on the plastic bag, just open it up for a few hours.
Hope this has helped you
Good luck
orchidguy

Return to Indoor Plants