Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Postby Katherine » Jul 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for correcting me on the character name, and of course R. Clothier. He played villians so incredibly well, no one could look as cheezy and unrelieable, shifty or blackhearted. We loved him! What a scene stealer that guy was. The guy who played DaVinci said he was a hero. I was not aware that Gerussi was unpopular with co-workers but he did have that musclebound chest, and big voice. What happened the guy who played the native boy, and is he still around?

I grew up in Kamloops where we had ONE channel, then two. Seeing all that beautiful coast line made me want to live there, so I did, for 25 years.

k
Katherine

Postby orchidguy » Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Katherine

This is all I could find on Pat John, the first nations actor that played Jesse

Pat John ('Jesse') is now a fisherman who also has a beachcombing license for clams and shell fish on the coast just north of Gibson’s Landing.
orchidguy

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Dan "The Beachcombers, when watched in reruns always take me back to a much more simple time".

Was it so for your parents as well?

The blindness of childhood perhaps.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby orchidguy » Jul 06, 2010 12:11 am

It just very well may be "the blindness of childhood", but it certainly doesnt diminish the fond memories gathered in those few moments of time.
Dad worked long hours in a smelter and there was always something that needed to be done at home, but on the night of the beachcombers airing, I got to sit in his lap and just enjoy the show and laugh with him. He had died before the 3rd season of the Beachcombers, and the few shows that we did watch together still evoke warm memories for me when watched in re-runs. In those moments, it was not about work, chores, or putting food on the table, I think it was just the small moments of quiet laughter where the harshness of reality could be left behind for a short time. Maybe the nice thing about the blindness of youth, is that the realities of life had not hit yet, and something as simple as a laugh with the person you loved most in this world, can turn into a memory that can still put a smile on the face of an adult.
orchidguy

Postby Katherine » Jul 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Trail?
Katherine

Postby bluebird » Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks Orchidguy for the update on my crush Pat John. Glad to hear he's managed to find a good life...and I did get over him eventually. I went on to date his "twin" though in Grade 12-lol.

Your story of childhood innocence was one of the most heartfelt and touching posts I've ever read on this forum. And yes, I like to think of it as the innocence of childhood rather than blindness....and we should all keep a little of that tucked away in our grown up hearts to help us over the rough spots of life.
bluebird

Postby Smitty » Jul 06, 2010 4:55 pm

bluebird wrote:.

Your story of childhood innocence was one of the most heartfelt and touching posts I've ever read on this forum. And yes, I like to think of it as the innocence of childhood rather than blindness....and we should all keep a little of that tucked away in our grown up hearts to help us over the rough spots of life.

I'll just keep dittoing you if that's ok bb
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Smokey1970 » Aug 25, 2010 7:15 pm

A few days ago, I was playing a game of poker online with a guy from Gibsons and he says a few years ago, he administered C.P.R. to "Jessie" . He survived- this guy saved his life...that's all I know
Smokey1970

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Orchidguy...your heartbeat goes on, here, I promise you. To have moments recaptured...yes, Sir.

I can never leave or return to my Powell River/the Sunshine Coast/home without revelling in the memories of Molly's Reach, and Gibson's Beach...the Beachcombers. As Kat says, "Canadiana"...our living history, I think.

And since WE are alive and kicking...there's an island...Harwood...out my kitchen window where Captain George Vancouver tied up when he got here...and a couple of weeks ago, a fisher lady and her husb caught an 80 POUND halibut off the east side/sandy beach (and they all got their picture in the weekly local paper.)

(now I'm all for catch and RELEASE and let the next guy/gal have the same lovely thrill if thrill it is...however, the world does not march to Lizzy's beat.)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby orchidguy » Aug 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Liz..........Thank you, and you are indeed one lucky gal to have such a view outside your kitchen window.
Smitty, Bluebird.........thank you too.
I believe when you think all is gone, it is memory that reminds you that the "spirit" of what once was, can still always be. Whether it be a person, location, or a familiar scent
This has held true for both my father and my children who are physically not with me anymore, but remain in my thoughts on a daily basis, and can sometimes bring a little warmth to the heart when in the midst of the struggle of cold reality

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume. ~Jean de Boufflers
orchidguy

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence