Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

My Hoya is finally going to bloom!

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

My Hoya is finally going to bloom!

Postby Lulu » Jul 31, 2010 9:03 am

After at least 5 or 6 or maybe even 7 years, my hoya looks like it is finally going to bloom!

Unknowingly, I kept changing the pot size, then found out, they must be root bound, before they'll throw a bloom! The plant was started as a slip, and just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and is very healthy,,but no amount of coaxing produced blooms!

No macro settings on any of my cameras, except the one that takes real film,,so,,,my apologies the picture is not real clear!

Will take another picture when the flowers are completely formed. They are so waxy looking, they actually look plastic. The first time I saw one in bloom, I thought someone had attached little bunches of plastic flowers on them.
Attachments
Hoya_july 2010.jpg
Lulu

Re: My Hoya is finally going to bloom!

Postby Laura » Jul 31, 2010 9:08 am

Congrats on your bouncing baby blooms .... I found out the same way as you about the root bound thing ... when the flowers open they smell like chocolate ... too devine .... :D
Laura

Postby CFRASER7 » Aug 11, 2010 2:48 pm

The hoya plant is beautiful! Do you know where I could find one, I have never seen it before, but after googling images of it I think it would be a wonderful plant to own. Its flowers really do look plastic, it's so neat.

Thanks,
Christine
If you have time to read, you have time to weed
CFRASER7

Postby Lulu » Aug 12, 2010 6:43 am

Christine, p.m. me with your addy, & I'll send you some cuttings.
Lulu

Postby Maralyn45 » Sep 29, 2010 2:14 am

Great..m so happy wid this.....congrats..
Maralyn45

Postby Eeyore » Sep 29, 2010 11:57 pm

Lulu, did it finally bloom? My daughter had a hoya and I hadn't realized it bloomed until I smelled it. It gives off a very sickly sweet scent at night. The flowers do look like plastic!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lulu » Sep 30, 2010 6:34 am

Yes, it bloomed, but only two little clusters of flowers, and only one of those clusters was fully opened. Didn't notice the smell, but that's because it's in my dining room, and I am rarely in there.

The picture is not as clear as it could be, but, only found the macro setting after the blooms were done!
Attachments
hoya1.JPG
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » Sep 30, 2010 10:19 am

Nice! I love the way they look like candy flowers for a cake.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby fayella » Jan 09, 2011 2:46 am

Hello, I'm reading old posts and came across your pictures of your hoya. I had one for years but it never bloomed. It was only growing in water and once my son was born, it got forgotten once too often. I've been thinking about getting another in the spring. The blooms are beautiful. My leaves were such a lovely dark green. faye
fayella

Postby Vendella » Feb 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Beautiful flower. I have a hoya which I have had for over 25 years. I let it get root bound, mainly through neglect. I have had it blooming every year. In May I put it outside hanging from a fence in a semi shaded (morning sun) area and forget it. I water it maybe once every two weeks if it hasnt rained. That plant continues to bloom every year. I leave it outside till about Oct. bring it in try and give it as much light as possible water it only once a month. Well, I moved in January and it got frost bite, I have cut out all the frozen bits and now it is very small, so I will see what happens this year. It is a great plant, seems to live through anything. :D
Vendella

Next

Return to Indoor Plants