Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

planting in cast iron urns

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

planting in cast iron urns

Postby flower child » Aug 14, 2010 10:04 pm

I have to cast iron urns and usually put annuals in them each year. However, I always find the plastic inserts I use are not effective in keeping plants vital. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to use in them. For example putting soil directly into the urns instead of a pot.

Thanks..
flower child

Re: planting in cast iron urns

Postby B_BQ » Aug 14, 2010 10:28 pm

I have several cast iron urns. I put soil directly into the urn. The heat in summer dries out the soil very quickly, as the cast iron gets hot. However, you can use water retaining gel crystals, and other water retentive agents, to keep the soil moist. I don't think plastic inserts can hold enough soil and nutrients to keep plants going. As it is, I water twice daily, and fertilize at least twice a week, to keep things growing well.
Here's a picture of one of my cast iron urns this year.
~BBQ
IMG_1328.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby flower child » Aug 16, 2010 12:29 am

BBQ, your urn is gorgeous and lush! I have a question, you said you put the dirt directly in the urns, did you clog the holes with something so the dirt does not fall through?

Thanks..
flower child

Postby B_BQ » Aug 16, 2010 7:05 am

flower child wrote:did you clog the holes with something so the dirt does not fall through?

Yes. I put a a piece of landscape cloth, or a coffee filter, or a few broken shards of a clay pot, over the drainage hole.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Container Gardening