Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Herbs in Container Gardening: LOVELY!

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Herbs in Container Gardening: LOVELY!

Postby DragonChimes » Aug 25, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm sure many of you already grow herbs in your garden and in containers. I have had chives growing for years in my rock garden, but always found they struggled with not getting enough sun because of the larger plants surrounding them (esp. Hostas). I finally transplanted my chives to a container on my back patio and WOW, did my chives have fun this year! The plant is now huge, from having the sun shining on it almost all day! To keep it company, I planted garlic chives and dill...boy, the dill is wonderful, the aroma when you touch the plant is heavenly!! Too bad it's a perennial. I discovered fresh dill is wonderful on everything except my peanut butter toasts in the morning, in salads, pot roasts, roast chicken, tuna salad, salads, BBQ potatoes, you name I have tried it and love it, can't get enough, except now, the plants are hardly growing anymore.. :cry: https://sites.google.com/site/dragonwindchimes/
herbs1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DragonChimes

Re: Herbs in Container Gardening: LOVELY!

Postby Laura » Aug 26, 2010 7:06 am

Know what you mean about dill ... I grew some in with the flowers this season and really enjoy the smell just like you.It does go well with most everything .... :)
Laura

Postby DragonChimes » Aug 26, 2010 10:03 am

Hi Laura, I know, it's incredible..just thinking about it my mouth is watering..Tuna Salad sandwich for lunch today with clippings from my dill...it rained yesterday and I do have some sprouting a bit..yum!! :lol: https://sites.google.com/site/dragonwindchimes/
DragonChimes

Postby Eeyore » Aug 26, 2010 6:09 pm

I planted a herb garden in a container this year and didn't get anything off of it before it went to flower on me. I'm going to collect the coriander seeds though and I think the parsley is still OK. Next year I'll try to stay ahead of it .
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Container Gardening