Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing Pussywillows in a Container

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Growing Pussywillows in a Container

Postby elizabeth24 » Aug 26, 2010 8:48 pm

In spring, I rooted some pussywillows, (only one rooted) and put the rooted one in the middle with five others around it in a container to help protect it from the wind, and it has been outside for the summer. It is doing fine right now, with leaves growing. Right now it is on one of the steps leading to the deck. What do you think its chances of surviving an Ontario Winter is?

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Re: Growing Pussywillows in a Container

Postby B_BQ » Aug 26, 2010 9:04 pm

I think you should get it into the ground PDQ! Once the cold weather really starts I suggest that you give it some protection with burlap and mulch. I don't think it will survive an Ontario winter in a pot outdoors.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Aug 26, 2010 10:33 pm

definately agree with Brenda on this.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby seacat » Oct 03, 2010 8:35 am

I've always wanted a pussywillow too but under the circumstances could only put it in a large pot.

I'd be tempted to try overwintering it in the garage and see whether it makes it next summer..? Nothing to lose right? I'd be interested in knowing the result is.

And here's one site, for example, that says it can be done: http://sweethomeandgardenchicago.blogsp ... iners.html

You might want would insulate the container from the inside. I have collected a lot of carpet underpadding for this purpose and it seems to work.

Seacat
Women hold up half the sky.
seacat

Return to Container Gardening