Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Postby Wally C » Aug 26, 2010 6:05 pm

I certainly do remember the Beach combers.. We too only had 2 channels to watch and that show was apart of my TV time.. I loved it..

Is it ok if I liked Relek the best? lol
Wally C

Postby Eeyore » Aug 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Relic was a real character wasn't he?

I too remember the one TV home and Dad and Mom had shows that they watched every week. Usually variety shows like Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, Carol Burnett and Sonny and Cher. Those were the best evenings. All the kids sprawled on the floor in front of the TV with Mom and Dad.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Wally C » Aug 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Wow Lyn I remember... Such a simplier time!

I'll never forget Uncle Bobby! I adored him as a child and one day as an adult I got to be his helper at a variety show...

I was tickled pink... :lol:
Wally C

Postby butterfly » Aug 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Carol Burnette was the best I couldn't wait til that show came on. The antics that bunch would do and so much of it was made up as they went

Sonny and Cher , yes another. loved them too. Red Sleton, I just crack up with him

Now the comedicans are not even a bit funny and have expensive writers to do what?

Cohen : I just turn the chennel .

I say no more

OOOPs Beach combers , yes I loved old Relic the best. I really liked that show and my kids liked the re runs
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby orchidguy » Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm

UPDATE,

was browsing through some old posts, and saw this one and decided to see if there was any news (deaths, other acting roles.....) and lo and behold....found this little bit of info

Jackson Davies, one of Canada’s most recognizable veteran actors, has just published a book about the 40th anniversary of the show that launched his career, and he’s called it, appropriately, Beachcombers at 40.
Davies, who played the tall, earnest and moustachioed Const. Constable, has watched a lot of the shows again in the course of writing the book
It's funny. There were some I looked at and I couldn't remember. I went, ‘I did that?’ Again, I think it’s the carry-over of the shows we did,” said Davies. “We were really ahead in doing First Nations stories as part of the community. I look back and realize just how much fun we had.".......CBCNEWS
orchidguy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Began reading this thread again, realized it's way out of date...and here you are in NOW Time, Dan!

If you are a reader, you might enjoy the books by L.R. Wright, who writes mysteries/coppers, on the Sunshine Coast...Sechelt, but Gibson's does get mentioned.

Wish CBC had the money to invest in some of the Canadian shows that are out there, just waiting to be shared amongst us....not knocking Americans but I get 398 tv channels and what isn't repeats, sports....is American audience-based. APTN has some goodies, Vision, and Knowledge and PBS bring me really good British detective series that I love, plus there is the Australian show, Miss Fisher...detective in the flapper years. It's a really skinny diet of good fare, I tell you!

We have some very good authors here, and I know there are others around this huge country of ours...if only, if only we all yelped to have our own wonderful culture portrayed to us. NOT with the War of 1812, NOT with hockey hockey hockey (yes, I know some of you absolutely love it, that's fine...but folks like me exist too, you know!) Today, CBC and CTV, and yesterday, all day...Grey Cup Football. I LOVED football in high school.

And speaking of memories...my bugaboo is that when I was a littlie, and Mom had a spare moment to sit down, she'd hold me on her lap and cuddle me...BUT first she would say, "let me grab a cigarette." The smell of a freshly lit cigarette is THEE greatest comfort in the world. Alas.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby orchidguy » Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Liz,
I've read most of both her series, and a few of her independent novels, and quite liked her style. I might be mistaken, but I believe Gibson's was mentioned in Menace.

You are soooo right in regards to Canadian talent, as our writers are world class.
I don't watch much television and stick mainly to documentaries, small independent films, National Geographic, oh, and cartoons, but we still have a need for Canadian content.

Unfortunately, you are right about the smell of cigarette smoke. Since quitting this last time, most times cigarette smoke stinks, but every once in a while I'll get a whiff of freshly lit tobacco, and it just smells wonderful.
orchidguy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Well Done to you for quitting.

and, is not a longing for "the good old days" it's a deep desire that there be really good stuff NOW...sadly, they are not writing for television.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby otnorot » Nov 27, 2012 9:59 pm

It was good a clean show,like orchidguy said it took you back to a much simpler time.
I didn't like the revival series without bruno,it didn't last anyways.
Bill
otnorot

Postby otnorot » Nov 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Liz it was 1945 and I was convalescent on Vancouver Island at a Army camp called "Gordenhead",Which was a nice place.then I was shipped to The army camp at Vancouver called "Little Mountain"and I loved that Province it was so beautiful.The war ended with Germany so I signed up to go to the Pacific,but that ended so I was asked if I wanted to go back to Toronto or get my discharge in Vancouver.I so much wanted to stay there but I was 18 and 5000 men had just been laid off at the shipyards because of the wars end so I came home to Toronto and have always wondered what would have happened if I had stayed.Oh well its to late now as I'm 86. Bill
otnorot

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence