Feedback - Gardening Forums

Something folks should know re: PMs and Emails via forums

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Something folks should know re: PMs and Emails via forums

Postby MareE » Sep 19, 2010 10:21 am

Just as we haven't received email notifications in our inboxes since late April, I was royally peeved to finally figure out that these don't reach their recipients either, folks. A good friend and former active member sent me an important email via the forum and it was extremely disturbing not to learn her news till 2 months afterward the fact! She assumed I was no longer posting here when I didn't reply. :x

I feel bad for new members posting here who naturally expect e-noteys. Can't help but notice many one-time-only posters, most likely due to members' apparent disinterest in what they've taken the time to post, for Pete's sake! And how are people doing seed exchange when PM and Email buttons are debilitated?

Could there be a global ALERT to people that they must click on the "View your posts" link to see if there are replies awaiting them, dear Mods Kelly & Lyn? Just a limp band-aid for a fix, but I emailed Dmitry my concerns a while back tho' realized he can't do a durn thing about the exhausting technical difficulties here at troubled CG website.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Re: Something folks should know re: PMs and Emails via forums

Postby Eeyore » Sep 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Mary, PM's are working for me and I do get e-mails if I check off the "notify me when there is a new posting to this thread" box. I only get a message when the first reply is made which I appreciate since I'd hate to get one for all of the 6 or 12 people that may reply. My inbox overfloweth already! :o Anywhoo.... for example I post a message asking for advice and click off the little box and you, K, Liz and BBQ reply. I will get a message after your reply but not again until I go back in and read the postings and make a reply and then say Trish replies, I'll get another message then. I don't have the general e-mail noty thing activated because I'd be swamped with e-mails so not sure if that is just generally not working or is only working for some people.
My suggestion is if PM's are NOT working for you notify Dmitry directly as you did and then follow up with him if you get no reply.
One other thing to check, make sure that the e-mail address you use on the forums is one that you use or check regularily. Stuff happens and sometimes e-mail addresses get changed
and the old ones get forgotten about.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Sep 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I've just assumed that no-one is trying to PM me! I haven't had a PM for months!
I have all the correct boxes ticked off and have had no e-notys since March or so.
Log-in issues are somewhat better; I now only have to log-in at the beginning of the day, but I do have to log-in EVERY day!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Sep 19, 2010 3:58 pm

I guess you're one of the lucky few then, Lyn.
I can't remember the last time I had an e-noty.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Eeyore » Sep 19, 2010 5:07 pm

I have to log in every day too Brenda. Didn;t have to before but I do now.

Inge - I guess I can't really say if it's working because I haven't asked for e-noty's for a loooong time.... will test it now.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kellymac » Sep 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I'll post a reply to see if it works for you!
kellymac

Postby kellymac » Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm

BTW...y'all should consider yourselves lucky if e-noty is your only problem....my regular acct is locked out on a regular basis.....good thing I've got another acct set up!!!LOL
kellymac

Postby skwij » Sep 19, 2010 9:12 pm

MareE, ages ago you opted out of emails and PM via here. Did you change that in your User Control Panel?

For the Mac users here, I've gotten the autofill working, so the fields for email and password work. Just a matter of clicking LOGIN these days. LMK if you need help with editing the KEYCHAIN entries that take care of this issue.
skwij

Concerns re: PMs and Emails via forums

Postby MareE » Sep 20, 2010 7:48 am

Good morning!

Yep, I disabled PM in my UCP at least a year ago I think, skwij. One reason was semi-believing a 'rumour' that public forum PMs can be scanned by spammers (?) who troll nefariously for key words and addies. Can't recall technical name for them right now, quelle surprise. ;o} Yet I can PM Lyn and receive her reply message in User Control Panel inbox. So I assumed only admin and moderators listed under The team have access to forum Emails and PMs sent to them the past five/six months. Hope that made a modicum of sense. Computerese is all Greek to me you know! lol I have always had the avatar Email activated tho'. Actually, I sent a TEST PM and Email from this thread to your Mom yesterday.

Thanks Lyn, can't hurt to notify D again, I guess. I haven't changed any settings in profile and account [excepting avatar] since bought new Mac late August of 2008. Been too skeert to change even Signature, no guff! Oh, and I activated smilies awhile back. :lol:
Settings.png
Settings.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 2862 times

K O'Wryvale aka several other personalities, you have my sincere sympathies. The PTB have definitely been erroneously picking on you for a looooong time now. Why I oughta :cry:

[gulp] Have no intention of stirring up a mare's nest, folks. Genuinely concerned that people may not be receiving Emails and PMs as well as e-noteys is all.

MareE;o}

~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby B_BQ » Sep 20, 2010 7:59 am

MareE wrote: Actually, I sent a TEST PM and Email from this thread to your Mom yesterday.

Test PM received but no email!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Feedback