Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

When to water my Croton?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

When to water my Croton?

Postby isabelbrinck » Oct 15, 2010 12:02 pm

I have read that Croton's need a lot of water, and that drooping leaves are a sign that it's time to water. BUT although my new Croton's leaves are drooping, the soil is still humid to the touch. Do I water it anyway or wait for the soil to dry?

A lot of my plants have had fungus appear on the soil in the past, so I'm weary of over-watering and causing this problem again.

The pot has drain holes and the soil is fresh.
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Re: When to water my Croton?

Postby orchidguy » Oct 17, 2010 12:35 am

Your croton (codianum) likes a warm humid atmosphere, and likes to be kept moist during the summer months. As winter approaches and the sunlights intensity weakens, water sparingly with tepid water until spring. Cold water, drafts, and fluctuating temperatures can cause lower leaf drop. During the winter, no need to fertilize. Most houseplants when grown in the north, doesnt produce roots fast enough to take in heavy fertilization, and ends up killing the roots. It is okay to use a fish emulsion, or other natural fertilizers, during this time, but is definitely not needed 'till spring
Hope this has helped Isabel
Good lick
orchidguy

Postby isabelbrinck » Oct 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Very helpul, Dan, thank you!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby jmsadare » Jan 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I received a croton plant from my grandfather's funeral, and it's very beautiful but I've never really grown plants before. I want to keep this one, so I was wondering how often I should water it and how much water I should give it?
jmsadare

Return to Indoor Plants