Feedback - Gardening Forums

Anyone working on the problems with Forums

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Anyone working on the problems with Forums

Postby bluewillow » Jan 13, 2011 2:44 pm

If the IT people have no intention of correcting the many problems our
Forum members have why do they not just come out and state the fact.
I cannot fathom why some members are still locked out after many, many months attempting to re-join the Forums etc. What exactly is the problem?

Really does seem that the Forums have been neglected and that no IT's are bothering to correct the situations.

How many IT's does it take to change a light bulb?

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Re: Anyone working on the problems with Forums

Postby B_BQ » Jan 13, 2011 4:43 pm

I think the only way CG is going to do anything about the problem is if they are forced to by their advertisers.

Only if the advertisers are made aware of it, and are told by us that we will boycott all the advertised products, will we stand a chance of getting something done.

I was involved in something similar a couple of years ago with CBC Sports and their coverage of curling. CBC were choosing to move championship curling coverage to a tiny channel that almost no-one could get! And those who could get it would have to pay!

I personally emailed all the major advertisers and told them that I would be boycotting their products unless CBC started doing the right thing. Thousands of us, all over Canada and the US, did the same. CBC changed their attitude lickety-split and did exactly what the curling fans were saying they should do.

It might work with CG. The only difficult thing might be to get the correct email addresses of all the advertisers!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby bluewillow » Jan 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Excellent suggestion, Brenda!

Wondering how this could be done so that we all could sign a Petition.

We really have been set adrift to fend for ourselves.

bw
.......................................................................................................

TranscontinentalCanada's leading consumer magazine publisher. Transcontinental leads in the print, marketing communications and media sectors. ...
http://www.transcontinental.com/en/index.html - Cached - Similar
Transcontinental - Careers
Contact Us
As a publisher
More results from transcontinental.com »

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby B_BQ » Jan 13, 2011 5:45 pm

I don't think there's much sense in contacting Transcontinental - we're just small-fry, and they probably couldn't care less about us.

It's the advertisers who might listen to us. Why would they want to spend big bucks on advertising on the Canadian Gardening Forum if the Forum Members are going to boycott all their products and services.

It might be an idea to try to get the email addresses of all the individual advertisers. Once we have a list then it would be easy enough to email them telling them what we intend to do.

In the meantime, between us all, we could get cracking on composing a suitable memo to the advertisers. We have some members with wonderful writing skills, who know how to get their point across very well, in just a few words. Maybe we could get something going either sidebar or by private email.

Copy to be sent to CG and Transcontinental of course!!!!!!!

All suggestions welcome.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Jan 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Once again: All complaints should be directed to Tara, due to changes at the magazine the whole process of dealing with forum issues has changed.

tara.nolan@transcontinental.ca

I would give careful consideration to your proposal. To start with, we don't pay anything to use this forum and gather here. This space is paid for by the advertisers. If you encourage the advertisers to pull their ads how do you think this forum will survive? Without revenue Transcontinenal will have no reason to keep this forum up and running.

Now, all that being said, yes there are problems with the forums, there has been since day 1. Most of these problems are a minor inconvenience, not a serious issue. For those who are locked out and can't get in, yes, I agree you have a problem and should contact Tara so she can direct the issue to IT. Jjust because you have to log in every day, it's not the way it should work but it's minor. Think of it as added security. :lol: :lol:

I've directed Tara to this thread and asked her to comment.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm

I agree with you Lyn, but also would like to point out that this is a symbiotic relationship. The forum is 'free', but there are a lot of 'free' forums out there. We're consumers and consume a lot of stuff, and obviously we're all interested in gardening. The forum is a vehicle which advertisers can use to contact us. If the forum didn't exist then the advertisers would have no vehicle.

We give as good as we get, and at the moment we're giving more than we're getting. (Not me personally, as I only have the inconvenience of having to login a couple of times a day).

I miss some of the wonderful, creative, funny forum members from years past. This was a place where we could share and learn from others. Many of those 'others' have gone, for whatever reason.

If CG were to pull the plug on the forum then they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face!

I'm done. I hate to be manipulated with hidden threats. If CG do pull the plug then so be it. I'll find somewhere else to share ideas, experiences and new information.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Jan 14, 2011 7:20 am

Tara ... if you could answer this I would be grateful also ... I know you are busy.

I am curious who won the photo contest of Best Botanical picture.No winner is posted on that page and I was thinking maybe I missed the big announcment.

Thanks
Laura

Postby MareE » Jan 14, 2011 9:22 am

And I'm wondering what's happening with "What's Your Favourite, Nursery?".

After deleting many unwise gut-reaction thoughts barely worth a penny, only safe sentence of diatribe remaining is:

Blue O' et al, I'm waiting for the punchline.

bluewillow wrote:
How many IT's does it take to change a light bulb?
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby kellymac » Jan 14, 2011 10:09 am

Tara used that thread to get input for an additon to the magazine. It appeared in one of the issues in the spring. Happy to know that the nursery I picked was in there....gave the mag to store....well actually gave it to the mom of one of the girls that skates with my DD who happens to be the daughter of the owners! Could have given it to the owners too....see them all the time at the arena too...or another daughter...cousin...grandchild....LOL!
kellymac

Postby MareE » Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am

:D Y'know, you sound just like a regular poster who is no longer with us, kellymac. Her name was Kelly and she hung out in arenas. I wonder what became of her. laffs

Sorry, Tara. Haven't gotten around to unearthing—I mean reading—all my 2010 magazines. :oops: Gotta see if my fave nursery's in your article too! ;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Next

Return to Feedback