Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pest free indoor soil

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Pest free indoor soil

Postby elizabeth24 » Jan 15, 2011 11:59 am

Hi everyone,

I went to my local garden nursery to buy some indoor plants and some pest free soil, but the staff really did not know what pest free soil is. They are usually very helpful. They wanted to sell me the same soil I use for my garden, and yes the bag has holes in it, so any bug or pest can get in. Does anyone here know what I mean, so I can go to the garden centre and buy it? I bought the plants and they are on the other side of the house, with the yellow sticky tape so If they have any insects, I should be able to spot them. Thank you so much. Since it is snowing, I thought this would be the best time to do this.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Re: Pest free indoor soil

Postby Eeyore » Jan 15, 2011 1:50 pm

One of our local nurseries sell it's own soil mix which they bake ahead of time so that any pests are killed off. Nothing worse than opening a bag of soil and finding fungus gnats!

My suggestion is to find a good household mix, most of them should be quite clean and bake it in a hot oven before you use it. You'll have to google instructions. Some people recommend cinnamon to control gnats. You can also put pebbles on top of the soil as the gnats can't get to the soil to lay eggs then.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Jan 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Good Ideas, thank you.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm

To add to Eeyores great idea would be to take the plants you bought out of their containers, wash all the existing soil off the roots to remove any existing bugs or diseases living in the soil. Then re-plant in the sterilized soil. Make sure the pots you use are clean.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby elizabeth24 » Jan 15, 2011 11:20 pm

So far, so good with what is there, however if I see ANY pests or bugs, I will take a cutting of the plants such as ivies, and do what you suggested with the rest. Thanks so much. I did not think it would be so hard to find a soilless mix for sale in Ontario Canada this time of the year. I still think that this is the best time to sell indoor soil, regardless of what the garden nurseries are doing right now. There is one for sale in the USA, using Canadian peat moss, but is unavailable in Canada. sigh Thanks for your advice.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby Tony O » Jan 17, 2011 2:27 pm

You can also sink the pot in a solution of dish water till the water covers the pot. Leave it soak for about 5 minuits and drain. No more soil pests.
Tony O

Postby elizabeth24 » Jan 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Tony,

Do you fill the sink halfway with water with just a drop or two of liquid dish soap? What liquid dishsoap have you used on your plants that you know is safe for them? This sounds like a good idea, and a lot cheaper than the yellow pest strips.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby Tony O » Jan 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I used about an oz. per gallon of Lemon cented Dawn dishwashing liquid. Got rid of ants in the pots that way too. I don't know if that would work with orchids though. They may be to sencetive.
Tony O

Postby elizabeth24 » Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Thank you for letting me know. I don't have any orchids, so I have no idea.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby MatthewWilliam » Apr 04, 2011 6:14 am

Maintaining a healthy houseplant requires little effort. A good organic potting soil, proper amount of water, regular feedings with plant food, regular cleaning or trimming of leaves and stems, and repotting when necessary are really all it takes. It takes little more effort to give extra care to prevent insects. If you find insects living in your houseplant, make sure you quarantine the infected plant so others do not become inhabited. Try washing the plant with dish liquid and water to remove insects.
MatthewWilliam

Return to Container Gardening