Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Cacti Tank

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Cacti Tank

Postby lucid dreamer » Jan 18, 2011 8:38 pm

I am currently growing cacti in a 20 gallon tank which I'll post some pictures of.
The bottom layer is 1/2" gravel, then coco peat, finaly on the very top is soil mixed with all purpose dry sand.

On the right side of the tank I am growing random cacti and succulents.
On the left side i will grow Lophophora williamsii and Trichocereus bridgesii. I might add clay powder and lime to the soil for more nutreints. The greenhouse in the corner I will sow seeds and then transplant them into the big tank.

Although i do have a terrarium heater on the bottom and tri-phosphor lights the tank nor greenhouse at 20c which is not hot enough for the cacti seeds 25c

If any spikey green thumbs can give me some tips such as heat, watering, nutrients, food, and if i should cover the left side with mesh for indirect light. I have some money to spend. :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCF0427.JPG
DSCF0427.JPG (20.52 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
DSCF0423.JPG
lucid dreamer

Re: Cacti Tank

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 19, 2011 10:38 am

Interesting idea! I have never seen or heard of anything like that. Please keep us posted on the progress :)
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Eeyore » Jan 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Interesting project. I'm afraid I can't help with your questions though. I'm going to move this posting to Indoor Plants and hopefully some others will have answers for you.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Jan 19, 2011 9:58 pm

very interesting...what are you using for a bulb in it?? I would go to the pet store and buy a full spectrum bulb meant for reptile habitats..that would bring the heat up for sure.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby lucid dreamer » Jan 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Thank you Eeyore
Re Smitty: My dad picked them up for me there from germany either there Tri-phosphor or F17 T8/865 don't know much about lights but i know they produce UV rays perfect for growing. Aside from temperature. Do the full spectrum bulbs produce UVs?

I'd be glad to keep you guys up to date.
Attachments
DSCF0440.JPG
Also this is a picture of the lights
lucid dreamer

Postby Smitty » Jan 20, 2011 6:52 pm

yes full spectrum lights produce UV not as much as true sunlight but as close as chemistry can come right now
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby lucid dreamer » Jan 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Well this weekend I'll stop by hte pet store and the local greenhouse see if they have any.
I might get some heating cable to put under the mix.
lucid dreamer

Postby weliss » Jan 20, 2011 8:41 pm

What a great idea! I've only seen little terrariums before, so yours looks to be grand idea.
I would second Smitty's idea about the pet shop lights. I've known people with reptiles and they have to have the UV lights for the radiation and warmth, so it seems they would work for cactus as well.
Wendy
weliss

Postby lucid dreamer » Jan 25, 2011 5:33 pm

what reptile lights ? theres a 5uvb 10uvb and 15uvb
lucid dreamer

Postby Smitty » Jan 26, 2011 12:30 pm

if it was my tank...I'd go 15 if you can get them to fit the fixture you have.
Smitty

Next

Return to Indoor Plants