Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Air Plants - Tillandsia

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Air Plants - Tillandsia

Postby CFRASER7 » Jan 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Hello,

I would love to be able to get my hands on an air plant. I have never seen them being sold in stores, or in greenhouses. Only place I came across them was on ebay, it costs about $15 to ship it here in Ontario. And I am curious, does anyone know anywhere else I could find one of these amazing little plants?

Sincerely,
Christine
If you have time to read, you have time to weed
CFRASER7

Re: Air Plants - Tillandsia

Postby Eeyore » Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am

I've seen them at a few greenhouses around here. I would ask locally and see if you can get one in your area. Pick a good greenhouse and ask them you might get one. They will be happy to help I'm sure. Unless you live in a small town I don't think they should be that hard to find.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Jan 28, 2011 9:57 am

there used to be a greenhouse by Tillsonburg that grew them...if i could just remember the name of it...that was many years ago that I worked there
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby skwij » Jan 28, 2011 11:11 pm

I've seen these periodically at Home Depot, of all places.
skwij

Postby Eeyore » Jan 29, 2011 12:30 am

I think that's the last time I saw them as well Skwij.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby weliss » Jan 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Around Christmas time I saw these at a stall in the mall. They were selling them upwards of $15, so that online price sounds about right.
Wendy
weliss

Postby orchidguy » Jan 31, 2011 4:16 pm

You can buy air plants (large assortment of tillandsia) online from Hawaiian Botanicals in B.C.
orchidguy

Postby CFRASER7 » Feb 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all your suggestions, Tillsonburg is about an hour from here, so I will check Home Depot first. Now that i think of it, I remember Home Depot having interesting plants last time I was there. That was a couple years ago though, they had Venus fly traps then. I will definitely check it out! I really want one, but I just got all my seed stuff today, so I don't know how my boyfriend would feel about adding yet another plant...I went a little seed crazy this year

Thanks again for your help

Sincerely,
-Christine
CFRASER7

Postby CFRASER7 » Mar 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Okay, so I know it has been awhile for this topic. But I have finally found an Air Plant! At the Stratford Garden Festival, there was a vendor with a while basket full. I only picked up one, since I have never grown them before.

And now that it is home, I am not entirely sure what to do with it. I know that it does not go in soil, and that you can attach it to almost anything with glue or wire. But I am drawing a complete blank as to what I should use! I went to Wal-Mart to see if anything popped out at me and nothing. I am thinking that if I picked up a couple more then I would have a prettier Air Plant ornamental, but I only have one so, any ideas here would be great.

Thanks,

-Christine
CFRASER7

Postby Eeyore » Mar 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Usually they are attached to a piece of wood. If you can find an attractive piece of wood you could use that. If you don't have one look at a pet store in the fish department for something you would put in an aquarium. Or if you want to be really funky you could find a cheap ceramic ornament at a flea market or $ store and glue it on as hair. :lol: They need to be misted occassionally but should live a long time.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk