Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Jade plant

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Jade plant

Postby chinabeach » Feb 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Good afternoon all
Would anyone know how to thicken the trunk of your jade plant. The nursery where I purchased my small jade suggested that I leave it in a small clay pot which is about 6 inches. She said the smaller the pot the thicker the trunk will become. Unsure? Please help!
chinabeach

Re: Jade plant

Postby Eeyore » Feb 08, 2011 5:41 pm

I think her reasoning is that without a place for the roots to expand the plant should remain smaller but I'm not convinced that is the case. Check this link for care tips.

http://www.squidoo.com/jadegarden#module11895018
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby toothpick harry » Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

Jade Plant (Crassula ovata) is a South African (read dessert-like ) succulent which means that it stores water in its fleshy leaves and branches in order to survive the hot, dry summers. Because of this the plant must not be overwatered. i.e. it ! MUST! dry out thoroughly between waterings snd should have only enough winter water to redress wrinkling leaves.

I grow C. ovata in full summer sun outdoors to the point of red marginations on the leaves, but I also give a great deal of water because they are in pots that dry quickly. I overwinter them in the brightest south window with water as little as 4- 6 weeks apart, i.e., almost total neglect.

Plant should be potbound, which can be a problem as the plants tend to be top-heavy, but this also ensures that the plant will dry quickly especially in a clay pot using a well-drained mix. Poorly drained mixes combined with over-watering or over-potting will almost ensure that the plants rot from the roots up and/or perform poorly.

Follow this culture and I can assure you of a gorgeous 'tree' with a large stependous 'trunk'.
toothpick harry

Postby chinabeach » Feb 14, 2011 10:25 am

Thank you so much to you both for the excellent info on Jades. I really love these plant.They are so grand.
Thank you again
Chinabeach
chinabeach

Return to Indoor Plants