Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Rock salt tolerate plants

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Rock salt tolerate plants

Postby Vendella » Feb 17, 2011 12:34 pm

I am starting a new garden along my front entrance pathway, I know from previous experience and after trial and error (plants didnt make it through winter) the only perennial that I found that would survive was sedums. Does anyone know any other types of of perennials that will survive the winter salt. :D
Vendella

Re: Rock salt tolerate plants

Postby kellymac » Feb 18, 2011 9:41 am

I'm moving this to plant talk for you...You will get a much better response!

Feedback is for technical and forum issues...just FYI!! :D .
kellymac

Postby Smitty » Feb 18, 2011 10:34 am

mums. clematis, lilies, honeysuckle, hardy geraniums all do fine for me with the salt/sand from the roads.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Katherine » Feb 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Grasses also will tolerate higher sodium chloride.
Katherine

Postby Jeannie » Feb 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Isn't this a moot question, you are asking about perennials that will stand up to road salt and since this is a winter/snow/ice inference, wouldn't the salt be off the road by the time the perennials make their appearance.
Road salt spray can affect many plants and its usually the evergreens that are affected--their branch tips are hit with the spray and cause browning. Another important reason to make sure you water your evergreens well before they go into winter dormancy.

What perennials might come up while there is still snow on the road?
Jeannie

Postby Eeyore » Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm

The salt may be diluted by the snow but it still affects the soil and perennials as it melts.

Pavement roses are a good choice. They have been specifically bred for high traffic areas that could be affected by salt. For other choices do a google searh for salt tolerant plants.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Jeannie » Feb 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Well, in such cases, since the salt, if it was to make any pH difference, then simply adding amendments to the soil to revert the pH back to an acid state would be the most logical step.
One of the most simple ways to do that, short of having a soil test done to prove whether the alkalinity is likely to cause any problem, is to give the soil lots of organic matter such as compost, peat moss or the like.
Where the garden is brand new it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a soil test done anyway.

Since most plants like their soil near neutral or slightly acidic, it does suggest the soil should be treated to bring this about.
I don't think its a mistake in any case to add lots of compost or other organic matter to the soil which helps it retain moisture and aids in plant development.
Jeannie

Return to Plant Talk