Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing something odd

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Growing something odd

Postby GottaBeKD182 » Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not the best expert on gardening or much of the like, but here's an interesting story for you, I'm curious about your feedback.

I recently picked up something called a "Digital Download Card" from a concert I was at (it has a download code on it to download their CD) and the band was very much into reducing their carbon footprint etc, and they mentioned that the download card was made from 100% post-consumer junk mail, and actually had wildflower seeds embedded in the paper; they said after I use the download code I could actually put the card under some dirt, water it, and wildflowers would grow. So I did that about a month and a half ago, but am getting a strange almost growth on top of the soil. Take a look at the picture if it helps. I've kept it relatively moist and its right by my sliding glass door so that it gets SOME light.

Any ideas what this is?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GottaBeKD182

Re: Growing something odd

Postby Eeyore » Feb 21, 2011 1:50 am

Looks like lichens to me but I can't be sure, How mauch water are you giving the seeds?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby GottaBeKD182 » Feb 23, 2011 3:18 am

Well that green stick thing thats in there is supposed to let me know when to water, usually every couple days-ish. After Googling "lichens" I can't really figure out whether they're good or bad, obviously though its not the wildflowers I was expecting.
GottaBeKD182

Postby Laura » Feb 23, 2011 8:01 am

Lichens are useful to hummingbirds who use them for nesting material ... :)

I would think that after a month and a half you would see something sprout .... are lichens concidered wildflowers or fungi ... :?:
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Feb 23, 2011 11:57 am

I don't think they are either. Kat's our resident expert on lichens and such. Yup, after a month and a 1/2 I think you've got crappy seeds. Quite possibly over watered. All new seeds really need is damp soil (like a squeezed out sponge) and a spritx with a spray bottle every day.
The other possibility is damping off and those grey blobs are the fungi. Are they fuzzy?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby GottaBeKD182 » Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

No they're not fuzzy at all. Too bad, I guess they're bad seeds. I have another download card I'll try planting, maybe I'll have better luck.

Thanks for the help!
GottaBeKD182

Return to Container Gardening