Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Perennials in Pots

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Perennials in Pots

Postby Clyde212 » Mar 06, 2011 11:21 pm

This is my first "New Topic" post! I was wondering who has had experience with perennials in pots and overwintering them. I was thinking of trying some short clematis and maybe a trough planter this summer instead of annuals. Thanks for any input :)
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Re: Perennials in Pots

Postby Laura » Mar 07, 2011 7:08 am

It is possible to keep perennials in pots,it just takes a little more attention is all.You must water a lot and eventually you will have to plant them in a permanant home.I did have very good luck with coneflower,it even bloomed in the pot.I also have two rose bushes in pots now but they are small and have not run out of room yet.

Some smaller trees also grow well in pots ....
Laura

Postby kellymac » Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am

One thing you'll have to check for is which plants need a dormancy period....
kellymac

Postby Laura » Mar 07, 2011 10:21 am

.... and by the way ... I bury the pots in the vegetable garden and mulch with leaves for the winter ... :)
Laura

Postby Clyde212 » Mar 07, 2011 11:27 am

I was planning on leaving them outside all winter and the reading I was doing suggests getting plants 2 zones below yours to ensure they survive. If I put them all under my deck and covered them with leaves, do you think they would survive? Buring them would mean finding extra space in the garden which might be a challenge. I do not have a garage or unfinished basement so I can not bring them inside...
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby Laura » Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm

I think in that case you should not count on them surviving ... it takes a good amount of insulation to protect tender roots.

You might be better off growing annuals.
Laura

Postby earwig » Mar 10, 2011 8:48 am

Clyde,
In my experience, winter is as hard on the container as the contents. Therefore choose both carefully but putting under your deck and covering with leaves should be OK for both.

I have numerous troughs that overwinter fine for me. I have even overwintered containers that contained tender grasses. Having room, I can bury perennial containers which I have done, but I also have covered with leaves or evergreen boughs and have also stored in sheltered spots. I find it is much easier to dig them out of leaves vs. the soil.

I find the biggest threat is water that gathers in the container and is unable to drain because of frozen drain holes. The freeze thaw affect will not only harm the containers but roots hate sitting in ice.

If the roots are not bursting at the seams of the pot, they can stand a fair amount of cold, especially if they are hardy to a couple of zones lower than yours. I lay some containers on on their side to avoid the container catching water.

Worth a try and best of luck if you do.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Clyde212 » Mar 11, 2011 11:29 am

I think I will by something not very expensive and use it as my "Experiment". We will see if it works. Thanks for all the advice! Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby Prairie Pen » Apr 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi
I have had an armandi clementis in a pot now since 2002. I know anyone who lives in B.C this a plant that survives the winter, but not here. I keep it in my garage that I keep heated to +2 in the winter. That is some times a challenge since it does get to -40 a lot. It is now blooming...in the garage...but as soon as we get some sunshine it will be put back outside for another summer. I have a number of prennials planted in pots which do very well
Retirement means a full time commitment to gardening.
Prairie Pen

Postby Clyde212 » Apr 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I think I am going to try a few easy perennials (aka cheap) and see if they survive. Worth a shot 8)
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Next

Return to Container Gardening