Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Watering Indoor Iris

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Watering Indoor Iris

Postby scoopaloops » Jan 28, 2011 12:40 pm

I bought an indoor potted Iris to sit by my window at work. How often should I water it? Does the soil need regular changing?
scoopaloops

Re: Watering Indoor Iris

Postby Eeyore » Jan 29, 2011 12:54 am

Where do you live and do you plan to plant it outdoors eventually?

Generally with Iris, make sure the rhizome is above ground. It wiill rot if buried and don't overwater. The soil should be damp but not soaking wet. Once a week should suffice but keep an eye on it. If you plan to keep it in the pot be aware that it will go though cycles where it will die back and it should go dormant and receive no water or fertilizer. It may also need a cold spell.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby scoopaloops » Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Good to know, thanks! Im in Vancouver, the plant will stay indoors as my office friend. Should I do anything when it starts to die ie. take off the dead peices, stop watering?
scoopaloops

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 31, 2011 9:00 pm

When all the flowers have died, cut the whole flower stalk off. Not just the flower heads......the whole stalk from where it come up through the fan of leaves.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby orchidguy » Jan 31, 2011 10:21 pm

Continue watering until all the foliage has died, as this nourishes the rhizome or bulbs for it's next growth.
Are the leaves quite wide and growth is fan shaped, or are the leaves more like wide blades of grass? If they are grass-like, you have forced dutch iris, and if they are bigger and have a rhizome at the top of the soil (looks like a piece of dark fresh ginger root) then it is a german bearded or non bearded iris. There are others, but haven't really ever seen them forced in pots
orchidguy

Postby scoopaloops » Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Its more grass like rather than fan shaped. The flowers just died so I cut them off and exposed the bulbs a bit more. I guess I ease up on the watering and wait. There is no direct light for the plant, is that a problem?
scoopaloops

Postby Eeyore » Feb 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Yup, ease up on the water and wait. The light shouldn;t be an issue.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MatthewWilliam » Mar 29, 2011 4:49 am

Soils hold nutrients and water for plants. Indoor trees like regular watering. For the most part, every week to 10 days is plenty. When the soil is no longer damp, go ahead and water. Be thorough but don't drench the soil. As for light exposure, a western or southern exposure is best.
MatthewWilliam

Return to Indoor Plants