Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Silver Lace Vine

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Silver Lace Vine

Postby joycekh » Apr 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I am so confused from researching sites on how to prune my silver lace...... Some say, cut it right back to the ground in early spring, and others say cut if off by 1/3 in early spring. Does it bud on old wood. It is only 1 year old, and it must have grown 30 ft. last year. My husband is actually going to add more extensions to the fence this year. We planted it to screen the neighbours, and it sure accomplished that. Now to prune it??????
joycekh

Re: Silver Lace Vine

Postby Eeyore » Apr 10, 2011 10:18 pm

From what I understand Silver Lace Vine is a vigourous grower and cutting it right back isn't going to hurt it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby VictorianNoire » Apr 11, 2011 10:22 am

silver lace vine, commonly known also as the "mile a minute plant" is pretty forgiving when it comes to...pretty much anything. feel free to prune it whenever you like pretty much!
VictorianNoire

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 13, 2011 6:41 pm

I trim off all the brown leaves and stems right close to the center of the plant, it always comes back. It's a very hardy plant.
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I planted it in part shade and it hasn't grown at all.I think I'll move it to the fence out front where it will get more sun.What do you think? JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 18, 2011 7:40 pm

I moved mine a couple of years ago to the north-side of the house.
It gets the early morning sun and later in the day it receives more sun from the west.
It grows very well there and besides the soil isn't what I would call fertile soil.
It fills the corner in nicely.
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby thistle » Apr 26, 2011 8:54 pm

I planted one last Year in a shady spot at the back of my Garden. It grew to the top of the 10ft Fence before the cold Weather put a stop to it. I have just checked it today and it is full of leaf buds getting ready to pop.I did not cut it back last year so it should give me great cover this Year. :D
thistle

Postby kiasoul » Jul 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi: I trim mine in the spring.
My Silver Lace Vine is growing very well. I planted mine last summer. This year I am getting plenty of vine, but no Silver Lace.

Can anyone please tell me what I can do to force it to bloom? I fertilize regularly, water regularly, and the vine faces south. Soil is good, too!

Thankyou, Lillian from Newcastle, Ontario
kiasoul

Return to Plant Talk